Shortening a thin mane?

_jetset_

Visit site
I was wondering whether anyone had any tips?

Grace's mane is quite thin but has grown quite a bit from when I last pulled it (October when she first came to me with a long mane
smile.gif
) However, I am reluctant to pull it again as it is quite thin and I would like to get it a little thicker over the coming year.

Thanks,

Rebecca x

Tempi

Visit site
ive got to admit i had the same problem with Archie's mane, as its really thin but had got long and scruffy - so im ashamed to say that i got a thinning blade to the ends and 'roughed' it off!! it looks good tho and just like a pulled mane! plus it took me less than 5mins to do!

amage

Visit site
use a clipper blade and just sort of use that to cut it. it doesn't look cut and is softer. pull down on the mane with the blade and it'll cut through it. it only takes bout 5 mins to

smallgirl

Visit site
I use a small knife that instead of a smooth blade has a slightly rough edge, but not sereated.

Then just run comb through the mane to the length you want, and knife off, the rough edge avoids the 'cut' look.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
i did that to my horse as his mane was thin but i have to say he looked like a proper puffy geeky horse lol it was veryy funny tho i had to laugh at him as did eveyone else!
lolx

bellgave

Visit site
If you choose to cut it, cut up into the hair vertically as opposed to cutting it horizontally, this gives a more natural look, no so chopped!!! Only do tiny sections at a time!

RobinHood

Visit site
I use a large serrated knife, I know it sounds really dangerous but I'm very very careful. The serrated edge avoids the scissor look, in fact people often don't believe me when I tell them I don't pull manes 'properly'.

jayvee

Visit site
I found the solo comb useful on thin manes. Once you get used to them and back comb them only a smidge they do look like they are pulled and does not take any thickness away.

LauraBR

Visit site
Thinning scissors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly, people always compliment my mane pulling skills and I more often than not use my thinning scissors as JF would go vertical with any downward mane pressure lol! Just hack away haphazardly at an angle not letting any point of the scissors cut mane shorter than you want the mane. Then gradally you'll see where to tidy it (again, always cut at an angle) and then finish off stragglers with normal scissors. I can even then go and thin natives 'ends'...

Thinning scissors are the way...
grin.gif

lornaA

Visit site
dare i suggest you can do the same thing with normal scissors, thats how i do megan's mane when its a bit thin. don't cut it straight accross but snip into it. takes wee bit of practise but i can now do it so you would never know it wasn't pulled.

LauraBR

Visit site
Got mine form rideaway but you can probably get them all over? As long as you cut at an angle and don't cut too high you can't go wrong and it looks really smart
grin.gif

clipertyplop

Visit site
i would just like to second the thining sissorors too....my mare dosn't like her mane being pulled so just to avoid the being thrown up the stable walls, with a bit of practice you can achive a professional look i also use them on the top of her tail does a loverly job