Should be in vet forum but need advice asap!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
CCJ's mare appeared to have urticaria which were large raised areas looked like blisters. they go up and down according to how hot she got.
I rang our vet and he agreed probably an allergy from the description, but today there are less raised places but lots of small circular shaped patches losing the hair.
I haven't seen ringworm for 40 years but this may well be it.
Now I haven't got anything for it other than a medicated shampoo we have from the vet for basically scabby lesions on another horse ages ago, so would you clip the hair off first before getting the appropriate fungal wash on Monday or leave her unclipped? Luckily she has only been out with one horse for a short time and away from all the others, but her saddle was used on another, so he will have to be treated too if it turns out to be ringworm.
I don't know what the latest treatments are, we used to use stuff called fulcin in the feed or a special wash. Is this still the norm?
I'm not absolutely sure if it is and will get the vet to do a skin scrape next week, but as it is definitely getting worse would like to take some action now if poss.
Help peeps please!

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Goodness, it's been a while so I am struggling to remember names! Our vets used to prescribe a powder to go in the feed and a wash. To be honest I think there is little point doing anything much except trying to prevent the spread to others before Monday.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Definetly dont clip, you will only spred the spores around the body.
General treatment is a daily wash with Malaseb (wet area, rub in with hands, leave for 20 mins, rinse). Then daily application (bottle says every 3 days, but my vet says ignore this) of diluted Imaverol, straight after.
If particularly bad a course of Grisol V granules can be fed in the feed, can bring down recovery time by half and no withdrawal period.
Should try not to sweat her up if at all possible, will only spread the spores.
I guess you have some strong disinfectant such as GPC8? Bung a capfull on everything and put it through the wash. A lot of people use Virkon, this only works if soaked for a few hours.

Zebedee

Visit site
Imavorol is a very effective wash (only available from the vet). Do the patches have a sort of shiney scaley appearance with a spot in the middle?

henryhorn

Thanks that's great advice, the only problem is I think the spores are already well and truly spread as it now has them from head to tail! (grooming cause I think)
She has a pretty thick coat so it will take some soaking.
It seems we will have to wait until Monday but will get the stuff everyone has advised. Now to phone the seller and tell her her very posh dressage horses have also been exposed to possible ringworm! (why am I itching too, I have hardly touched the thing yet it's like when the dog has fleas, you start to itch!!!)

Louby

Visit site
Vet gave me Imaverol too for suspected ringworm. You can get that pink powder in a sachet thats mixed with water and sprayed on from saddlery shops and its a horsey disinfectant for horse and equipment. Im sure it says it treats ringworm, god whats it called? Gonna really bug me now. Its about £2 for a sachet......... help anyone

vicijp

I would defintley ask the vet for some Grisol V granules, they are no miracle cure but can help a lot. Defo no clipping or grooming. Its likely shes pretty knocked about from her trip and the bug she had. Last horse I knew that got covered in ringworm took about 2 months to recover, having full blown snots and coughs in the meantime. A blood and/or a course of Hb formula may help matters.
*Can you tell ive seen a lot of ringworm?*

Oldred

Visit site
It might not be ringworm! A friend's pony comes up with a mass of raised patches (urticuria) that then turn into bumps and go crusty. These will be all over her body, head, neck, flanks, back etc. We still don't know the cause but it happens about once every year then goes down. We've thought maybe a weed that comes up, or a fly that bites at a certain time. Just a thought.

Weezy

Visit site
Could be a simple sweat allergy - BBs Winston suffers from it and she has to use lavander and tea tree oil ;eave on wash (think that is right) everytime she rides to stop him reacting!

Twinkle Twinkle

Visit site
My pony had the same thing came up in bumps and then went crusty the vet came out and said it was an allergy to hose the affected area not to put anything on it, he could have gave him a jab but he said they had a lot of side affects, so we left it and it got better after a few weeks.

Zebedee

Visit site
Thats why I asked about the appearance of the patches.
HH if it is ringworm it will glow in the dark under ultra-violet light.

Patches

Visit site
Haven't read the other replies HH, supposed to be making Duncan's supper...so not officially on the puter!

When I had Talis last year he had a few patches of Ringworm. Vet gave us Imaverol to treat him with. Had to mix it in a spray mister with warm water and spray it all over him. Worked a treat.

Skhosu

Visit site
imaverol cleared up my boys ringworm really well! I just folowed the directions.Make sure you get the scabs off though!

henryhorn

Mmm I plan to examine it very carefully in daylight this morning as it doesn't seem to have the round appearance I recall from ringworm. It was definitely urticaria to start off with as the patches worsened with exercise and were sort of huge squishy looking patches that went up and down. I remember a tiny ring of blisters forming every day round ringworm so if they appear I'm sure it is that.
I think VJP is right when she says her immune system has been knocked low due to stress, she really is the most delightful horse we have ever met to handle and ride, perhaps she will turn into a very devil once she is back to normal!
Will ring vet again tomorrow, he is here early this week anyway as he is treating a horse with a sarcoid on it's eye with the Liverpool cream. Only one we had before we actually took there, I am so glad they do it on site now. It's very intensive, cream every day then he injects stuff into it and has to stay for half an hour incase horse goes into shock, then leaves us with an adreniline injection just incase
frown.gif

vicijp

Henryhorn, there are so many types of ringworm nowadyas its sometimes hard to distinguish. Sometimes they dont come out in rings at all. Im informed there may be up to 50 different strains.
The sarcoid on my horses eye has nearly disappeared now Henryhorn, but im about to start treating one on anothers belly with the cream.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
iodine neat on the rings will kill it within days old treatment works very well--
ring worm has an outerring and innner ring -- the inner raises to form a spot -- which then goes crusty and then falls off--

all tack rug and equipment should be washed and disifected well
rubber gloves to be used as humans can catch it to
foot bath on exit /entry horse to be seperated --

if humans get iodine can treat that to its only that it stains your skin --

idoine to be applied with cotton wool dab on the whole of the rings--- am describing it as i have seen it many times-- just so you know if you havent seen it before and not sure--

normally affects the head shoulders upper part of the body then very few spots sides and flanks ---

hair wil fall out -- to leave dots allover body next coat can look like a adapple of spots and dots -- next coat change that will dissapear

vicijp

In your case the coat 'dapples' because the iodine has blistered the skin. If you didnt use iodine the coat would be back to normal within 2/3 weeks. With iodine you always run the risk of knocking the thyroid about, so best not to use it unless you absolutely have to, and definetly not in extreme cases as this appears.

henryhorn

Definitely ringworm today as they have gone into lots of bald circles... Plan to get the stuff you suggested am tomorrow, although I have heard of iodine I think her immune system must be low so something discussed with the vet is best. The stuff in the feed will be quickest I reckon.
I plan to steam clean a lot of the stuff she has used such as rugs etc, do you reckon steam will kill it? We can do the stables and rugs etc, and the tack can be sprayed with virkon, I did wonder if tea tree might work? That apparently kills even MRSA bugs and is less damaging to spray about.
I am still surprised at the size of the skin reaction, the initial lumps were up to six inches across, never recall ringworm looking like that years ago!

vicijp

It is funny stuff, the patches can differ from place to place (area not on the horse).
Apparently ringworm spores can be killed with a high temperature (think its 40/50 degrees, but definetly not a lot higher than that), so steaming should do the job well.
Virkon only works on ringworm if the stuff is soaked for a few hours, so its probably best to steam the tack too.
Its a bugger to get rid of, sometimes you can clean absolutely everything and itll still get around. I figure its because the spores get spread before the skin actually shows it, and it then attacks the horses as soon as they get low. When we have it here (havent this year thank god), we go into cleaning overdrive/all the precautions etc etc. I can always guess which ones will get it - the youngsters that are just coming into work. Their systems are low and by the time one shows on the skin it is too late for precautions, the spores will already have spread to the others.
Lets hope you are lucky seeing as you havent had her long.

S_N

Visit site
Jeez Sue, I can't offer any advice as you and vici have it covered, just wanted to wish the new girlie well!! Don't forget to steam your lorry too, as well as any stable tools, grooming kits, boots (equine & human) C's chaps/long boots........... I really don't envy you this task. I have everything crossed that you can keep it confined - Good luck!!

henryhorn

Oh crikey, I hadn't thought about mucking out stuff, and luckily she was delivered so hasn't been in our lorry at all. She has only had contact with one other horse and is still in isolation, but the same tack was used on a different horse last week...
I can't believe how suddenly it has changed, one minute it was urticaria type lumps, the next bald circles...
CCJ has ridden other horses with those chaps and boots too. This may be a long job..
frown.gif