Should I be glad, or cry?

RunToEarth

Visit site
Ok, so we all know Oshka has had problems with that head, and I was hoping it would be his teeth so then the problem could be sorted.
Good news is that it is his teeth, bad news is they are really really bad.
When I had him vetted (froma vet I did not know) he passed.
Dentist pointed out an abcess on face. I knew he had had an abcess, but I thought it had been cleared up before I got him.
frown.gif

So, he open his mouth and pointed where this abcess came from, a fractured tooth. Meaning xrays, thankfully it is a problem that can be solved quickly, that has to be good, right?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
yes! You should be very glad that you've found the root of the problem and can now get it sorted and make him better. It wasn't your fault that you didn't know that his mouth hadn't been sorted before you got him
laugh.gif

Edited because I can't spell!

ruscara

Visit site
You have done the responsible thing and had him checked out, and you are prepared to have the necessary treatment done so that he will be comfortable. Yes, it is a good thing. You were not to know, and seeing a problem, you have done what is needed to correct it. I think you have done well. Don't beat yourself up at all.

vicster

Visit site
Oh god i'm really sorry to hear that sweetie - my old boy had an abcess after my vet (years ago before there was any equine dentists around) came to do his teeth and fractured his jaw and because he was 28 there wasn't really an option to try and sort it as it had gone too far and his bones were very brittle, poor little baby. But at least you know what it is now and the abcess won't take too long to go with the right treatments - GOOD LUCK

RunToEarth

Visit site
Im happy I have found what is wrong, but what troubles me is the fact my dentist reckons he has had this about 3years,,,poor fella, can you imagine putting up with that for such a time, he must be a very honest horse to do it for me. Also happy the dentist says he will be much softer and probably a snaffle mouth when I have had him sorted. I just fell so bad I didnt spot anything sooner.

riotgirl

Visit site
At least you know what it is now, and you took the time to find out. Some people would just blame their horse and leave it as that. He'll be thanking you when he gets his mouth sorted. xx

Sparklet

Visit site
My last horse had a fractured tooth in her top jaw. Tooth removal can be quite tricky and she had to have a general anaesthetic as they hammer them out from inside (so to speak). She had a flap of bone removed from the front of her face and they went in that way.

It was pricey - about £2000 but she was insured, but everything healed beautifully - she just needs more regular dental treatment.

Hope yours is okay

meandmyself

Visit site
Oh hon! What a predicament to be in. I think you shoud be glad- you know what the problem is, and are getting it sorted. Don't blame yourself- you trusted the profs to tell you and the vet didn't.