Should I breed from my mare

lme

Visit site
I have a much loved 13.2 (max) welsh x spotted mare. No idea off her exact breeding but she is nicely put together and a wonderful childs pony. Super fast but really kind. Thinking of breeding from her, because I'd like to have her foal (to keep, not to sell on). Thought of maybe using a 15 something Knapstrupper stallion or maybe a TB / WB with the aim of getting something 14:2 plus. Is this realistic? What sort of thing could I hope to breed from her? Is it a good idea or would I be better off buying a youngster.

rambling

Visit site
I don't think so , You have no idea what you will get .

Picture in your head the four grandparents of the foal
Welsh
Appaloosa or Knabstrupper
WB or TB
and remember you may get something that is nearly the same as one of these 12.2hh welsh ,
15.2 hh Tb or WB full heavy Knabstrupper , Appaloosa , not one of these makes a childs pony in my opinion.

Mixing breeds does not always give you something half way between them its just as likely to give you a copy of one particular grandparent, or a mix of the least suitable .

Bug2007

Visit site
Buying one will give you a certain and it's quicker and cheaper in most cases.

Nice having babies but unless you really know what you are doing you could end up with something totally unsuitable and then there is yet another horse bred that no one wants.

Plenty of ponies out there looking for nice homes like your sounds to be.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
why not try a re trained racehorse, they have been schooled professionally and the charity will make sure you and he are suited, they are not all scatty and often have good conformation, plus if you show, you can be sure that the class will be supported by horsemen not professional showmen

tristar

Visit site
your pony sounds great! i have one similar, i would put her to an athletic arab or anglo-arab, to get a bit of tb, i would'nt go too big, 14.3 HH max for a mare that size, or even a very small tb around that size, just accept that it may be a bit smaller than the ideal and that good things often come in small packages.

Spring Feather

Visit site
You can try but be prepared for it not to work out quite how you envisage. I've done it a few times, smaller mare to taller stallion and every time the offspring have never grown taller than their dams. All of those offspring were fillies mind you, maybe more chance in getting a taller one if the foal comes out a colt. There's a saying that the son will always be taller than his mother, who knows if it's true. If you definitely want a taller animal then buying is the only way to be sure.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
You can try but be prepared for it not to work out quite how you envisage. I've done it a few times, smaller mare to taller stallion and every time the offspring have never grown taller than their dams. maybe more chance in getting a taller one if the foal comes out a colt. There's a saying that the son will always be taller than his mother, who knows if it's true. If you definitely want a taller animal then buying is the only way to be sure.

It was for mine, dam 15hh QH x Welsh sire 16.1hh Trak, offspring 16.1hh. Most of the welsh were Sec C not even D's until further back. The QH breeding ave 15hh, so I was probably lucky.