Should I cancel the physio?

Izzwall

Visit site
Hi everyone,
I'm needing a bit of advice on what I should do, I broke in my youngster at the beginning of March and was probably the easiest horse I've ever broken in. For the first 6 weeks she was a star, hacking out by herself and with company on dartmoor and on roads etc, I don't have access to a school so for the first year of her riding career I just want her hacking out and seeing the world with perhaps a fun ride at the end of the summer.
However in the middle of april she started bucking when asked to canter, they weren't huge bucks but still a buck. I put this down to her saddle no longer fitting and one of my clients lent me a thorowgood xw to try. She seemed a bit happier but was still reluctant to trot/canter up hill. As many people who live in my area a good saddle fitter doesn't exist and after going through 3 I lost my faith in most of them. Her bucking then got worse and she started being reluctant to walk on and she started to nap on going home ( she is very forward going when going out). I stopped using the saddle completely and gave her a few weeks off (plus work was very busy). I spoke to my old trainer who came out with his western saddle to see if that fitted better. It fitted like a glove and I took her out for a hack on the moor and she was like a different horse! No bucking at all and in fact she ended up having too much fun in canter! I took her out the next day and she was the worst she has ever been, ears pinned whenever I asked for more than a walk and the bucking came back when asked to canter and was the worst bucking fit she's had so far and if it wasn't for the western saddle I would of ended up on the floor (think rodeo style bucking). She did have a belly strap on that was loose and she's always been a bit funny with her belly being touched.

I started looking up online what could be causing it and eventually scared myself convinced she had psd. I booked a very experienced physio/vet in the area who is coming out on the 19th of this month. In the mean time I had a chat with my old trainer who thinks it's just her being a youngster. Kayla is and has always been very feisty and opinionated plus she is very hormonal (currently on angus cactus which has stopped her squealing all the time). I took this in mind and took her out two days ago by herself. At first we had a few bucks and pig squeals but once she settled down I asked for some walk to trot transitions. No bucking. So asked for a canter where she gave me a lovely forward canter, no bucking, ears forward and looked very happy! I then took her out last night with my partner and my other horse and not one buck! She went straight into a lovely flowing canter each time I asked and felt fantastic! She's cleveland bay x so it's taken a very long time for her to mature both mentally and physically, she'll be 5 in August.

Now the problem I'm having is my family and partner are pressuring me to cancel the physio as it does appear to be a youngster thing regarding the bucking (balancing issues etc) but part of me wants to still have her looked at just in case. I lost my other 5 year old to a painful form of wobblers last year and after fellow liveries, my family and my vets saying there was nothing wrong with him I put him to sleep and had a post mortem where it was discovered he had a 4cm bone growth in his poll that would of eventually paralysed him. Due it that I always worry something is really wrong! My family aren't horsey and keep on saying getting someone to look at her is going to be a waste of money (my car majorly failed it's mot so cash is rather tight at the moment). I live at home with my parents and my horses are kept at home too. She's very happy galloping about the field and isn't lame at all. So what should I do?? Should I still get her looked at or cancel the appointment. Or cancel and if she starts bucking again rebook? My friend who rode her a lot for me at the beginning also thinks it's just her being a madam whereas my horsey clients think I've done too much too soon with her (hacking 3-4 times a week for 45 mins - 1.5 hours, mainly walking with bits of trots and 2-3 very short canters) and I've made her sour. Really don't know what to do! Thanks in advance!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
so is it a physio or a vet coming to see her? Personally I would get a good vet first-give her something of a lameness work up (just flexions, lunging and turning etc) and if they can't find anything get a physio referral. Physios cannot diagnose and physio/bodywork can disguise other things going on.

Izzwall

Visit site
so is it a physio or a vet coming to see her? Personally I would get a good vet first-give her something of a lameness work up (just flexions, lunging and turning etc) and if they can't find anything get a physio referral. Physios cannot diagnose and physio/bodywork can disguise other things going on.

She's a vet and is also trained in physiotherapy, I know her base has X-rays, ultra sounds etc.
After the way my vets handled my boy I'm very apprehensive about using them again and I've heard some horror stories off many people about another vets near by.

The wife

Visit site
I'd ignore those that say you've made her sour... it doesn't sound like she's been hammered in the school and I certainly don't think the work load is too much too soon for a 5yo.

Personally i'd get the physio to look at her anyway, it can do no harm for the sake of a couple of quid and for your own piece of mind. :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would have had the physio/ vet having a look long ago .
And you must find someone to check the saddles you are using fit.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Your gut feeling is that you want a second opinion, go with this. A good physio will help every horse in work, she may have tweaked something or not, but most horse go better after a session anyway.
Obviously, get a good saddle, a CB should be fairly easy to fit.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Visit site
I have a fab physio and whenever I have my doubts as to whether my boy is on form, I get her out for a second opinion. Sometimes I have been wrong and physio finds no issues, sometimes I have been right and he needs a spot of treatment. Either way, I am buying peace of mind from someone I trust which I think is well worth it. I also find that if you are worrying about their physical issues, you tend to stop riding as positively. So your mare may well be just being a bit babyish, but are you really willing to ride her strongly through it given your doubts? Stick with the appointment I say.

L&M

Visit site
I would still have the physio - if nothing wrong at least you will have peace of mind that it is just a 'youngster' issue.

If it is any consolation my 5 yr old has just come out of a teenage tantrum phase and was napping/occasional bucking, but with some postiive riding has turned a corner recently.

Good luck!

Izzwall

Visit site
Thanks guys for replying, there's one saddle fitter I haven't tried yet so I'm going to get her out soon. There's another one but the cheapest they sell is around the £800 mark and I just don't have the spare cash for that. I've had 3 truly awful fitters out who ended up damaging my horses so I'm now very apprehensive about using another. The western saddle fits brilliantly though, lovely even swear patches and she's really happy in it. I've just come back from taking her out and she didn't put a foot wrong and she looked like she had a brilliant time. My other mare had a fast canter in front and I asked Kayla in her own time if she wanted to go as well in which she went straight into it, ears forward, head in a great position and moved very flowingly. No bucking at all! I still have the problem of getting her home, like tonight I was doing the moor gate and each time I pulled it closed she pushed it back open again and started walking back on the moor and when we got back to our driveway she kept going up the hill past it. Never met a horse who does it and she's done it since I started hacking her, obviously enjoys going out too much! I bred her myself so I feel very confident on her so no matter what she throws at me I know I can ride her through it. She's cleveland bay x moorland pony so she's quite flat backed. Plus she has the smartness (she's too intelligent for her own good and only needs to be taught something once to understand)of a moorland pony and the stubbornness of the cb. I'm going to still get the physio out for my own piece of mind though even if she doesn't find anything wrong. I've always rebacked older horses and retrained ex race horses so she is my first proper youngster from scratch. She is shaping up to be my perfect horse though :)

webble

Visit site
I would get the physio out it's not going to do any harm. Maybe look at getting a western or treeless saddle and regularly check the padding/fit. Are her teeth ok? How hormonal is she? Is it worth getting her ovaries/hormone levels checked?

Izzwall

Visit site
I would get the physio out it's not going to do any harm. Maybe look at getting a western or treeless saddle and regularly check the padding/fit. Are her teeth ok? How hormonal is she? Is it worth getting her ovaries/hormone levels checked?

She's currently in a western saddle which she seems to be really liking. I backed her in a barefoot but she doesn't like it anymore (has the wide pommel in but I think that's too narrow). Her teeth got done the beginning of March where she had both her wolf teeth out. She can be very hormonal at times but she's always been very opinionated, a bit feisty at times but with me she is a big soppy mess. She's always stomped around and went through 'terrible twos' for what felt a very long time! She doesn't like my other mare getting close on hacks and would rather she was a good few metres away from her. If Izzi gets too close kay will pin her ears and threaten to go for her. She's happier hacking alone than in company. The angus cactus has massively helped her and I can now touch her belly without a angry face looking at me and it has stopped her squealing on hacks.

Izzwall

Visit site
Just in case anyone's curious about what a cleveland bay x moorland pony looks like, she's 14.3hh

Apologies if it doesn't work

Char0901

Visit site
I'd still get the physio. At least it will give you piece of mind.
When my horses were in competition work they had the physio about every 8 weeks. They really enjoyed it and I think it's good for them even if nothing is wrong. They're athletes at the end of the day x