Should I charge or expect payment?

kbsaff

Visit site
I'm 5 months pregnant and unfortunately have come to the conclusion that I am far too big for my pony. In fairness, I was much too tall for him when I wasn't pregnant!
I absolutely don't want to sell him but at the same time, he's only 8 and I don't want to see him wasted either.
As a result, I've advertised for a rider for him. I'd like him to stay where he is but I'm totally flexible with regards to whatever a rider wants to do with him (within reason obviously). They're free to ride whenever they like, have lessons on him etc. I just want to see him being worked as he's too good to be a pet for the rest of his life.

My question is, if you were me, is it reasonable to ask for any financial contribution or is him being exercised payment enough?

Littlelegs

Visit site
Depends, if its someone having a share agreement who isn't really improving the pony at all then yes. But if you get someone who's got no say in stuff & is improving the pony then no.

ellie_e

Visit site
I think it depends if its a set loan agreement or if its just someone riding your horse until you can get back on. If it was a loan agreement for a set time then i would expect to pay money towards up keep of pony, shoes/feed etc. If i was riding him for you then i would not be willing to pay, some people even expect you to pay them!

ihatework

Visit site
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer really, you'll find good and bad examples of both scenario's.

My gut feeling is that if you can afford not to charge someone, then you will open up your options and should make it easier to find a good reliable rider who will continue to bring on your horse.

kbsaff

Visit site
I suppose that's where I'm confused.
I still want to be involved with him so am reluctant to go for a "loan" at the moment, perhaps in a few months when i'm confident that I've found the right person for him. I guess then I would expect all of his costs to be covered.That would allow me to take on something bigger later in the year.

I'm not looking to make money from him. For the time being I'm completely happy for someone to come a couple of nights a week and at the weekend, muck out when they ride and clean a bit of tack etc. I'm just not sure if the Ad is being taken seriously because I've stated that money is unimportant. I don't want to give the wrong impression or attract the wrong audience

mightymammoth

Visit site
interesting thread as I've often wondered this. I had a horse share in the past and paid £20 a week but I looked after him fully for those two days including the riding.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I think it depends if its a set loan agreement or if its just someone riding your horse until you can get back on. If it was a loan agreement for a set time then i would expect to pay money towards up keep of pony, shoes/feed etc. If i was riding him for you then i would not be willing to pay, some people even expect you to pay them!

this!!

sherbet

Visit site
Just a thought but would in the future once baby arrives stable duties be more useful to you, so maybe you have a couple of days a week where you dont have to go to the yard. Also your not having to pay anyone to cover them days. If you start of now you have time for the person riding to learn your ways and you will feel happy leaving then in charge for the odd day.
I let a girl ride my boy in exchange for her mucking out and putting to bed the days I worked. She did not pay anything but I was not paying to have him done.