Should I clip?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of my Arabs is currently not ridden he was ever so slightly not right in front not every step and only seen on a circle, vet said just let him rest in the field for a few weeks as it was hardly noticable, my farrier said he had a tender spot on his sole so could be a bruised foot no sign of abscess.

Anyway he resembles a yak and with it being so mild he seems to be too warm, his in a no fill sheet as it's been so wet and windy which he hates hence why his not naked, so I was going to clip him he seems quite itchy as well with so much coat his clipped most winters as his normally in full work so I can't remember the last time his had such a coat in winter, I know though as soon as I clip it's going to freeze but his a good weight and doesn't really feel the cold it's just the wet windy weather he doesn't really like.

Sorry for the waffle!

Fruitcake

Visit site
Mine live out, clipped. One had a full clip in November, which has almost grown back. He’s now got a trace clip with half of his neck left on. He’s in a 50g fill. They have a field shelter but he seems happy enough. I do think they can get a bit itchy when they’re really hairy and not naked.

Carrottom

Visit site
The only reason I didn't take more off was my OH does the clipping and I didn't want to ask too much. I do tend to leave the back legs/bottom on if they are out 24/7 in the wind and rain because with the strength of the winds we have had recently the tail flaps blow up and leave this bit exposed, so would do more like a chaser clip.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
my hairy oldies are clearly warm in their self-grown coats, one has been rubbing the field shelter to bits! I'm not rugging them this year unless absolutely necessary - if I had to put rainsheets on they would definitely be too hot. Sometimes clipping is the right thing to do, even if it seems weird.

Carrottom

Visit site
I'd not clip a horse not in work without a very good reason

I have to rug them to prevent rainscald (both tb), and we were having torrential downpours, but also they were sweating in the stables without rugs on, it just seemed a sensible thing to do. They grow it back quickly if it turns cold.

Carrottom

Visit site
If you must rug because of rain scald I think I would get a more breathable/lighter rug before I clipped a horse who is not in work
The problem was the mild, wet weather - I was warm in a thin waterproof coat over a t shirt so a warm coat would have had me sweating, hence horse sweating in stable naked.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Check for PPID?

I don't think he has cushings I have had 2 horses with it and his not showing any signs, and I am quite paranoid about it having had 2 with it, I do really think his just hot as it's been so warm and his normally always clipped so his not used to it, it's 4 degrees today and his got a no fill rug on and seems happier now it's colder.

I have the vet back in January if his still not right so I will mention cushings and see what he thinks.

Theocat

Visit site
I would clip if it's necessary for a horse's comfort. If the horse is too hot in the stable or field (assuming it isn't overrugged) I would clip and rug appropriately. I don't really understand why people object just because the horse isn't in work. If it's too hot, it's too hot!

Plenty of horses with a thick coat will be too hot during a mild winter.

It's unpleasant for a horse to be too hot or sweaty, regardless of whether it's the result of hard work or warm temperatures, so why wouldn't you clip to remove that discomfort?

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've clipped a 3yr old before when he wasnt in work. He was just far too hot and when we took a big bib off his coat was damp and matted right down near his skin and he was covered in little rain scald type scabs. They cleared up as soon as he was clipped. He'd just been getting hot and never drying out, but because his coat was so thick he looked and felt dry to the touch.