Should I do it?

chipsnham

Visit site
I have a 19 year old brood mare who has a long standing tendon injury and various quirky ways which mean that she hates being stabled and won't let the vet near her. I have a beautiful palomino foal from her and have recently injured myself so that I cannot keep either of them after the foal is weaned in October. I am thinking of PTS for the mare as I feel that at her age it would be mean to try to rehome her and in an awful way I would at least know what happened to her. This is stressing me out as you can guess, so what does everyone else think I should do?

kildalton

Visit site
Although I can only imagine what you're going through, I think I would have the mare PTS.
If she is as quirky as you say, it's the kindest thing to do. I would just spend the rest of my life worrying about her otherwise.

peterthepony

www.bebo.com
[ QUOTE ]
Although I can only imagine what you're going through, I think I would have the mare PTS.
If she is as quirky as you say, it's the kindest thing to do. I would just spend the rest of my life worrying about her otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i agree, its not fair on any off you if she cant be doing anything and you worrying about her!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Oooh, toughie. Obviously you know your mare best and I'm sure that you've not come to this decision lightly. Your reasons are obviously in the best interests of your mare and if you think it's the right thing to do, you're probably right. It's a very brave decision to make and I don't envy you one tiny bit!!
Brace yourself for the barrage of "you're cruel" posts.

Zebedee

Visit site
How very brave of you to be prepared to make this decision. It really does sound the kindest option, & I don't envy you one bit. My mare is 22 - a real quirky throughbred although luckily has no issues with the vet. There is no way she will ever leave my care, & if the situation arises where I can't keep her anymore I will be making the exact same decision as you are.
Good luck, & once again I admire your bravery in doing whats best for your horse no matter how hard that's going to be for yourself.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I personally think you are doing the absolute right thing for both of your sakes. If she is as quirky as that there is no way that she should be rehomed; if you did, you would be worrying all your life what has become of her or how she has behaved. Definitely the right call imo. I think you would get a lot more negative feedback if you had said you are going to move her on rather than do the right thing for her.

It's a nasty decision to have to make at any time but this time I think you have no other option so well done for being honest to her and yourself.

Honeyb060674

Visit site
Feel for you Chip. Two friends of mine are going through the same as you, both have horses with longstanding degenerative problems, and both have put off the inevitable for some time. You just have to think of whats best for your mare long term. It must be heartbreaking but so very brave. I have a quirky elderly mare, who has been with me for 15 years, and I hope I can be as brave as you when I have to make that decision.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
To be honest, I would try to look for a home for her, then have her PTS if you don't find anything suitable. There are plently of people looking for a companion who are understanding and kind hearted. If not, then there are homes of rest for horses. If she were in any pain, then I would consider having her PTS but maybe not just because she's a bit older.

lizstuguinness

Visit site
what about loaning to stay wher she is? that way you can keep an eye on her. pts is a bit drastic if shes not in pain. maybe someone else would like to have a foal with her?