Should I get a breastplate?

Eloisee

Visit site
After taking my boy to his first pleasure ride I'm unsure if I need a breastplate.
The ride itself was very exciting and a little stressful for my boy and among the many bucks/bronks and head shaking my saddle was slipping a lot because he got so sweaty. His saddle normally fits fine and has been correctly fitted to him after many hunderds of pounds spent!
The saddle was going backwards and sideways
I want to go to plenty more and I know he will get better the more he goes out (we hardly go out since transport is difficult to get since I don't drive)
Just wondering what may be best to keep it in place ?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would look on a breast plate as more of a safety device than something that keeps the saddle in place. I know some people advocate they do help with slipping but it's been my recent experience that this is not correct.

That said if your saddle is normally ok and the horse was behaving out of character then you may find it did the trick in that scenario.

Goldenstar

Visit site
A brestplate if correctly fitted will prevent the saddle slipping back and can prevent serious accidents .
A saddle that slipping all over the place can be helped by using various types anti slip saddle cloths but I would have the fit checked again .

Shay

Visit site
Ditto that - get the fit checked. But for next time it might be worth having a reasonable and correctly fitted 5 point just in case. None of our saddles slip - but all wear 5 points to hunt, XC and fun rides (Were you at Frensham by any chance? On a grey?). If something happens it gives that added bit of security. In your case you could even try a racing over girth as well - but that might be overkill!!

Eloisee

Visit site
Ditto that - get the fit checked. But for next time it might be worth having a reasonable and correctly fitted 5 point just in case. None of our saddles slip - but all wear 5 points to hunt, XC and fun rides (Were you at Frensham by any chance? On a grey?). If something happens it gives that added bit of security. In your case you could even try a racing over girth as well - but that might be overkill!!

No I was at Osberton on a very giddy palomino!
I have an anti slip saddle cloth but I think he was just that sweaty and at the minuet he only had on a cotton girth it was just going off to the side!

Tnavas

Visit site
How many saddle blankets/numnahs are you putting under your saddle. Your saddle should not slip sideways if the girth is done up correctly. When more than one thin numnah is used under a saddle it will slip around and back.

At one time very few people ever used a breastplate unless they had a slab sided horse that didnt encourage the saddle to stay in place because generally we didn't use a saddle blanket at all. I still don't.

Eloisee

Visit site
How many saddle blankets/numnahs are you putting under your saddle. Your saddle should not slip sideways if the girth is done up correctly. When more than one thin numnah is used under a saddle it will slip around and back.

At one time very few people ever used a breastplate unless they had a slab sided horse that didnt encourage the saddle to stay in place because generally we didn't use a saddle blanket at all. I still don't.
I only use 1 thin saddle pad

Kat

Visit site
I would recommend using a breastplate for pleasure rides, xc and hunting. Even a well fitted saddle can move from time to time, for example going up a steep bank. A breastplate can prevent an accident but will not do any harm or have an adverse effect if you don't need it. It is also a handy grab strap for any high jinks!