Should I get a shetland?

ash99

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone, this is causing a bit of debate in my family so thought I'd put it to people with more experience

My pony very traumatically and unexpectedly lost her field mate two days ago. We found him in the morning and his vet PTS on the spot. Now she doesn't know what to do with herself, she's 3 years old and never been alone, she's visibly depressed, lost all her energy and wandering about like she's given up. She's lost 2 other friends this year also. I've been searching high and low for a loan that could keep her company, it's especially urgent as we have the run of a two stable stable block and now she will be in by herself with no other horses for company once the colder weather sets in. Today a very kind lady got in touch and offered us her Shetland for a very reasonable price. I have loaned a 36inch Shetland for her before and we had him for a couple of years, but he was initially a bugger to keep in because the fencing on our yard is normally dead ... my pony is also a career escapologist and I ended up buying an energizer and linked up 2 lines of electric tape and she's stayed put ever since so long as the battery is properly charged. She was out every morning in her mate's field otherwise. Linking a fence up to the farm's mains isn't an option for us as the farmer won't acknowledge that the fence he's put up is dead.

My question is would I be able to keep him in if I put up another fence inside and connected that up to an energiser as well? His current owner says he respects tape but I know what the little buggers are like.

teddypops

Visit site
I think you would have to try it and see if you can. My Shetland is a very good pony as far as shetlands go but she doesn’t care about electric fencing.

Trouper

Visit site
Talk to the charities. They often have young ones that need a home to just spend time growing or to learn the basic handling rules. It might be a good fit your your 3-yr old.

People often get Shetlands because they are small and folk think that they are easy to manage. However, they often need different grazing requirements (ie a lot less!!) than other ponies and then need splitting off into restricted grass areas. I would look for something similar to your own pony.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Mine is good with fencing and rarely mounts any escape attempt.

The only time she has is if the tape is a bit droopy, then she just just climbs through it.

By contrast I had a welsh B who completely ignored electric fencing and I had to have basically two fences to keep her in.

PSD

Visit site
I second speaking to charities. World horse welfare always have companions needing homes

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I don't think a Shetland is likely to be a good fit for you. I'm assuming your growing 3yo doesn't need restricted grazing, and I'm assuming any companion Shetland ie not in work, will most certainly need restricted grazing.

Visit site
Not all shetlands need restricted grazing. I find the more you restrict what they eat and when they eat the more problems you will have. How do you think studs cope? They don't have them all trapped in electric fence strip grazing etc. A couple of playful ponies will keep themselves amused and active.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would think one of the charities would be happy if you took a companion from them...i would try them first and tell them the circumstances so they know its urgent..theres blue cross as well and redwings