Should I go hunting?

dwi

Visit site
I've always wanted to hunt but have never been. I don't have transport and I couldn't go to lots of the meets anyway because of work but there is one coming up in Feb time that leaves from my yard. I know it is a long time off but I want to have prepare if we do go.

The YM is encouraging me to go but I'm not sure what to expect. I didn't grow up at Pony Club, I don't have expensive tack or riding gear. I'n worried that everyone will be posher/richer/have a fancier horse/be more experienced.

What should I expect? I know that you can go as a foot follower and I wondered about doing this first but how does this work? I don't want to look like a stalker
laugh.gif

Thistle

Visit site
Prob should be in Hunting forum

To hunt on foot just turn up at a local meet and ask other foot followers.

Every one should hunt at least once so they can make an informed descision about it.

Jemayni

Visit site
You should defo go, the majority of hunting people aren't snobs anyway. From you location I know you are South Derbyshire based; you should go out with either the bourne country bloodhounds (literally 75% non-jumping field.) They are fantastic for newbies, I took a 3yo out with them weekend last, he had only jumped to or three times and has only been in the country for a fortnight - he loved it. To give you a better idea go to www.equipics.co.uk for pictures, as you'll see everyone looks relaxed. Or you could go four shires?

Hmm just read the part of your post about the meet at your yard (sorry I am dim,) which hunt is it?

Defo go as a foot follower first it will give you a great taster, if you go on boxing day or something it will make your xmas!

beeastarLJW

Visit site
Hunting is fab, its a really confidence giver for the young horse, it encourages them to become bolder and braver if you're out jumping 5ft hedges with all the other guys if thats wot u get ure kicks from.

I personally wouldnt take an excitably grey if u know ure going to be drinking port at the meet. You made need Vanish Stain Remover for when u get home! Hee..hee.

Id say GO 4 IT!!

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Id try on foot first if you are nervous I would I have never been hunting before its not my thing really.

If you are not nervous who cares about the snobs they will only be jealous of how free you are if you know what I mean.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I went on foot first and got an experienced friend to take my mare to see what she'd be like. She was well behaved and steady so am going to give it a go this december.

Vicki1986

Visit site
Definately go. Everyone will be really nice and despite what people think not snobby.
Your all on beasts with 4 legs at the end of the day who cares how you dress it up. Just make sure your clean and presentable thats more important than having posh gear. make sure you get your neddy fit with lots of roadwork, hill work and trotting etc before you go so he doesnt tire too quick otherwise you will feel bad! xx