Should I just go for it and import semen?

S_N

Visit site
I'm really struggling with this! I keep coming back to Goshka Ringo (sire of Bananaman's stunning yearling). I know H is gorgeous, but I am kinda kicking myself for not breeding to him, instead of Kings Composer. For those that don't know, the stud that Ringo stands at, upped sticks and moved to France at the end of August. As I am a Supporter of British Breeding, I feel that I should do just that, but ............. I dunno, Ringo is a bit special and currently affordable! What would you do?

Tia

Visit site
I'd forget Ringo and go for Diddicoy!
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
lol Tia - SD is not homozygous and I really want a coloured, preferably a filly..... I've decided that I can't breed to SD anyway, it just doesn't feel right, my gut is uneasy about that coupling......

Tia

Visit site
I think SN needs to do a Poll!!

Make sure Diddicoy is on it SN!!!
grin.gif
He is a beautiful chunky horse with the most amazing temperament. Truly wonderful horse in my opinion.

S_N

Visit site
Well if I like the horse enough and he's not homozygous, then I'm willing to take the gamble, but I'm sorry, something - a feeling - is stopping me wanting to breed to Diddicoy - even though I could probably sell the foal any number of peeps on here.....

S_N

Visit site
Not interested in breeding an eventer! B is bred to SJ, carries some awesome bloodlines - Olympic Ahorn, Nimmerdor, Erdball (sire of Skelly's Apollo), Atlantus. Her mother was a Grade A and her Father Grade B

Tia

Visit site
Go with your gut instincts then. If it doesn't feel right then it isn't. However I have to say that I was very impressed with him and my friend who worked with him for quite some time used to tell me how lovely he was and how placid a guy he was.

This is the first time I have ever heard people slate this horse so perhaps he has dramatically changed over the years OR they don't actually know the horse? Not saying I do, but my friend wouldn't say something that wasn't true.

S_N

Visit site
Really - that is interesting Tia........

There is a coloured stud in the SW (no names mentioned) that a few people have tried to point me in the direction of - except I won't use them, WHY? Because when I interviewed there when I was 17/18 the bloke slated Diddicoy and Lady P and I thought it highly unprofessional of him and tuned down the job when offered it!! However, thinking about it, I now realise that this is the seat of my own prejudice against this stallion. Totally unfounded I realise that now, but 10 yrs of thinking badly about him is making it difficult for me to want a foal of my own by him - does that make any sense?

delphipuppy

www.treliverstud.co.uk
I think you should go and see SD. Lots of people are recommending him and at least if you see him and still don't feel comfortable then you know you have made the right decision.

I think you should always go with your gut instinct as at the end of the day you know what you want to breed and you know your mare and what you think will suit her.

Having said that if a stallion was recommended by a number of people I would certainly take a look before discounting him.

S_N

Visit site
That's very true! Thank you for that!

Your Derek is still on my list! I can still remember the butterflies I felt watching him float around your arena!!

airedale

Visit site
Stick with british breeding. I tried to get a mare in foal in Surrey from a stud near Newcastle on chilled semen. We tried twice. She wasn't at fault as a change of stallion she popped right into foal no problem and I have a lovely yearling.

Not only stick to British, but stick to less hassle with airports and flying the semen in. The stud in Newcastle imported semen from Ireland for some of their mares and apparently had a total nightmare with airports and delays - meaning mares missed altogether and had to wait for their next season and another try at the airport fiasco.

If you aren't a vet/have a 'tame' vet and are paying vets fees for the AI work to be done and for your mare to be examined as to optimum time for the semen to be inserted - then I'd stick to UK based stallions and AI.

Don't forget that the French are VERY good at strikes at the drop of a hat.....!!!

(Unless of course you found that it would be cheaper to ship your mare to France to be naturally covered at the stud and then shipped back.............)

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
(Unless of course you found that it would be cheaper to ship your mare to France to be naturally covered at the stud and then shipped back.............)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooo a holiday - good plan
grin.gif

mandy4727

Visit site
My fillys dad is Puzzles Limited Edition. His father is Dexters Puzzle (17hh) and his father is Dallas. Looking on all pedigree breeds website and there is loads and loads of history on them!!!!!!! Mare is Pauldarys Juliet

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Agree, Sempatico is truly lush but when I enquired re. frozen semen to the UK, I had no reply to my email.
mad.gif

I expect that the nec. tests/paperwork hasn't been done for export over here which is a shame because both he and his babies look gorgeous!

MillionDollar

Visit site
Go for it!!! Hes everything you could want in a stallion- excellent temperament, excellent bloodlines, proven competition record and you are guaranteed a coloured!!!! AND you'll have a sibling to my 2 due next year (fingers crossd)!
grin.gif

MillionDollar

Visit site
Wow, he is stunning, fantastic movement or what!!!??? His trot and walk look like hes floating on air..... oh to dream of owning a horse like that!

Only thing i would say about him is that i'm not too keen on his markings, but that is being REALLY picky, lol!!! Otherwise, he should definitely be an option!
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
I agree, he is totally gorgeous, but as Bananaman says, there seems to be no accommodation for international export of frozen semen..... Which is a shame.

I knew a few Art Deco's whilst I was over there, lovely tempered and good movers.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Is Ocombo De L'Eau homozygous? Have a feeling he's not and i can remember your comments about him when H's mum posted up the photos from Athens.

kat
xx

S_N

Visit site
lol - no he's not - at least I think he's not - but yes he is stunning - was literally looking at him just a minute ago
laugh.gif
Great minds eh
grin.gif