Should I or Shouldn't I? (BSJA)

Ironing - hated by everyone?

• Total voters

SummerStorm

Visit site
As above, really as I'm desperately in need of some help...

I've got a 14hh pony and I've been out doing a bit of showjumping over the last year or so - starting at 1'6'', then 2' and so on and in early August, a very up to height 2'6'' with a 3' ish spread and 2'9'' unaffiliated (but the course wasn't particularly up to height).

The opportunity of having a go at a 75cm warm up class and British Novice in 2 weeks with some very experienced friends has come up but to be honest, I really, really don't know what to do!

So far, we've been double clear easily at 2'3'', had a fence down twice at 2'6'' and one down at 2'9''. I have been clear at 2'6'' several times but have had stops in those rounds. At home, I jump 2'9'' confidently although at 3' and 3'3'' I'm a bit more shakey and my pony does then have a tendency to cat jump although he never has them down. Due to him being lame (he's sound now) we haven't been out competing since the August show and I don't know if I'll be able to find one to have a practice go before that as I've only got one weekend left!

With his previous, previous owner (2 owners ago) my lad was jumping 3'6'' but he hasn't seen anything that big for about 5 or 6 years except on a couple of occasions out XCing (with me).

So, should I have a go at BN or wait and have a go at a later date? I don't want to overface him or me but he certainly hasn't had a problem at 2'6'' or 2'9'' and hardly ever has a pole down - when he does it's been my fault completely. However, this is an opportunity that has been effectively handed to me on a plate so I'm a bit reluctant to pass it up...

Here's us competing at 2'6''- how much higher/wider would the fence be at BN? (We're on hole 9 in this pic - BSJA wings)

Propic.jpg

All thoughts appreciated as I'm completely divided
crazy.gif

~Silver x

Rambo

Visit site
To be quite honest, I don't think that fence even looks 2'6". Sorry
frown.gif

I would suggest going along with your friends to watch and perhaps walk the course. That way you will get a much better idea of what to expect, and will be able to relate it to what you have jumped in the past.

Perhaps you could take the pony along, and enter after you've walked the course if you think it's suitable
smile.gif

SummerStorm

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
To be quite honest, I don't think that fence even looks 2'6".

[/ QUOTE ]

It may well not have been as it was one of the smaller fences in the round - there were others that were a good 6'' higher later in the course.

frown.gif
I'm just not sure what to do

KatB

Visit site
I would perhaps try and have a go at the 75cm, but not the BN. BN is alot bigger and wider than you expect it to be, and is appox 3' so well out of your comfort range at the mo. 75cm should be achievable for you, but jump upto height before you go. I'm afraid I have to agree with Rambo on the height of the fence. Lovely ponioo though!!
smile.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Gawd... I think you showjumpers are crazy :p

Personally, Id probably wait.. You dont sound 100% convinced and as you said, its too close to really get another clear round under your belt and give yourself a boost. But then.. Im a complete wimp and theres no way in hell id even contemplate the idea of trying to get over a fence that size, let alone an arena full of them
blush.gif

Lill

Visit site
blush.gif
I think although i could be mistaken OP is meaning Junior BSJA courses... i think these start a lot smaller than 3 foot don't they?

I would say do the .75 and see how you get on and then if you do ok do the BN
smile.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think although i could be mistaken OP is meaning Junior BSJA courses... i think these start a lot smaller than 3 foot don't they?

I would say do the .75 and see how you get on and then if you do ok do the BN

[/ QUOTE ]

Junior BN is 85cm....which is about 2'10" / 2'11", so not very much lower than 3'. The 75cm will be around 2'6", but don't forget a local 2'6" and a BSJA 2'6" can be a world apart.

ETS: I'm not trying to frighten the OP off, just would hate to think of them getting a fright and spoiling a possibly good future together. The pony looks very nice from the picture above
smile.gif

Lill

Visit site
Hmmm.... i guess maybe. I know the BSJA spreads seem to be an awful lot wider than in the unaffiliated courses!!

Jeez i wish everything would go back to feet and inches i'd be able to understand it all then !! Can't get my head round these jump heights in cm's!
smirk.gif

frannieuk

Visit site
Perhaps take your pony along and do the 75cm, only do the BN if you feel absolutely confident but tbh I think you'd be better off making sure you are completely confident and happy jumping 2'9"-3" unaff before thinking of going BSJA - as others have said, the spreads are an awful lot wider in BSJA.

hannah1982

Visit site
I think you should stop analysing this quite so much! Think about why you would be going, surely to have fun? It doesn't matter if you've gone clear or had fences down in the past at whatever height. Everybody has poles down all the time at every level.

If I were you I'd take your pony, walk the course like Rambo said with people who are a bit more experienced and see how you feel. You can always ride around the warm up and jump a few fences to see how you feel.

Competing is meant to be enjoyable, don't blow this out of proportion and if its already stressing you out maybe you should leave it for now.

Although saying that, I always feel it is better to regret something you have had a go at than to regret not trying at all.

Good luck which ever you decide x

rrose

Visit site
i can't see the picture, but to be honest it seems that i think you should wait. go along have a look at what will be expected. A home jump higher than the height you wil be jumping out, and jump scaryier fences.

If you do go i would say do the warm up class and if you are both feeling up to it go in the next class.

good luck

MagicMelon

Visit site
If I were you, Id try the 75cm and just see how you go before deciding on the BN. BSJA classes are built more up to height (and width) that unaffiliated so often BSJA classes seem bigger and scarier! If your still have problems at lower heights (stops etc.), I wouldnt go any higher until they are sorted.