Should I sell him as a companion or project (i'm very sad) :-(

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I posted the other day that I have got topart with a project pony that I've had since December. I've known for the past few weeks that we really can't manage to keep him through winter but I've been holding off advertising him as I feel so awfull about it. He was poor when I got him and wouldn't let you do anything with him like feet, brush, rugs etc I gave him the winter to settle in and the first part of summer then brought him into work, he wouldn't let us mount him at first (had back, teeth, saddle checked etc..) after some work we were able to mount him but didn't understand aids at all, so have taken him back to basics and done lot's of in hand and long reinging, over the past 4 weeks I have been mounting him with no probs and he has been walking round with me on him and someone walking at the side of him. But last Thursday I managed to get him to walk on his own with me on him, i was so chuffed, but then he was startled and bolted bucking up the menage and back down again but as he was coming down the other side he went into proper rodeo and manged to get me off but then carried on the rodeo and I very nearly got trampeld, so i'm nursing a very badly bruised hip and bum still one week on. It's made me realise I can't take the risk, I have to put my family first. He has come on leaps and bounds since i've had him and maybe if someone who had the time and patience had him he would come on, he is just very anxious and obviously had a real rubbish life.
He is happy to live out so i'm wondering wether I would be better to find him a companion home? Or do you think there are people out there looking for projects like him? I'm just so worried that he will go to the wrong person because he will be 'cheap'?
frown.gif

It's such a hard decision but I have to be realistic, I just keep putting off advertising him.
frown.gif

Thank you to anyone that got this far.....

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Tell us about him; how old, breed, history etc I think that makes a big difference for someone looking for a companion. A companion needs to be low maintence, not a fatty or a skeleton etc easily get on with others.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
I think horses are quite happy doing nothing, so why not loan him out as a companion local. Ok, easier said than done but possibly worth a bit of time/effort.

This way at least you still 'own' him and can be sure he is well looked after.
x

ru-fi-do

Visit site
He's 14.2/3hh, connemara x, approx 13yrs, good doer, no health problems. He's now brill with his feet, I don't even have to tie him up. He lives with 3 geldings and one mare, he's towards the bottom of the pack! He's happy to be left on his own for short periods in the field. He came from Ireland, a local dealer rescued him and another in a field that had been left (apparently), other than that we know no more, but he has scars on his nose and it is quite bumpy so obviously had some trauma of some sort. He move's lovely and is very handsome. He can be a monkey to catch, he seems better now he is in at night, but would happily follow the others in in summer or stay on his own whilst the others were ridden. Here's a few before and after pics.
[image]
100_0188-1.jpg
[/image]
100_0190.jpg

Summer 09
phonejun075.jpg

phonejun077.jpg

Polygon

Visit site
I had a pony EXACTLY like him (except he was a 4 yr old) he had obviously been very scared at some point and I could eventually mount him after lots of work but as soon as he spotted me on his back he would bolt for the fence and get me off. I had almost given up and had decided he would need to be a companion only for the rest of his life, but I thought I'd give him one more chance so i enlisted the help of a really kind instructor who helped me (started with her leading him with me on board, but bent forward at the waist so i wasn't above his eyeline) and he gradually improved, eventually he became a great riding pony and I sold him to a family for their 3 young children to ride (he was 13.1hh). So he may not be a lost cause, but you sound as though you need the help of an instructor/trainer.
I had to comment as your description of his behaviour was so like the pony I had. Don't give up. And buy a body protector!

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I would love to do that but unfortunately my partner has no work at the minute and is uncertain as to when the work will pick up (self employed) so funds are short so thats another factor why I'm going to have to advertise.
frown.gif
frown.gif

I just feel so stuck in a rutt but just want to do whats right by him but worried that I won't be able find him the right home.

Aragon56

Visit site
Hey,

I have just tried to PM you but your PMs are full! Please can you empty them or get in touch? I'm just starting to look for a companion horse for loan and noticed that you're in Leicestershire too, so just had a few questions.

Thanks

Barefoot4

Visit site
You poor thing - it's awful to feel backed into a corner. Your chap is the absolute spitting image of my connie, except mine has 2 white socks on near side. Mine had a horrid start to life, brought over from Ireland aged 5, half his ear ripped off on the journey, rope burns over his nose. He ended up in rescue which is where I found him. Took him 6 months to trust me to touch his face and he still, 10 years on, is a big baby. What got us there? I got a trainer, a brilliant one, who pushed me every time I wobbled, and made me his lead horse. She was with me for 2 years and still comes to see him. If I was nearer you I'd have him in a second, as I have another (darker) dun, so then I'd have a real pink posse! Good luck with whatever you do with him, and give him a big hug from me.

doonrocket

Visit site
I keep one of my broken boys as a companion. I'd rather have him put to sleep than send him off as a companion to someone I didn't know very well. Too many horror stories about people offering homes then selling the horse on as sound - or just taking them for meat!