Should I sell?

Little Ted

Visit site
I'm the proud owner of an 18yr dressage school master. He's my first ever horse (I'm 50) and I've had him for 3yrs. I'd only taken up riding a couple of years before buying him from a reliable source. My problem is that I can't keep him in canter. To be honest I didn't do well with canter before him due to poor quality school horse, but thought he'd teach me. All my instructor says is I need to push him on more because he's learned he can stop. I have three lessons a week and ride at least once on my own. My boy can be very strong once he gets going which can be scary and in his previous life competed/went better in a double bridle. I started out with him in a French link but have progressed to a double and bigger spurs. But this isn't what I wanted when I set out. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement. To my way of thinking if I can't canter him around the whole arena after 3 years but I can on a different horse, then I ought to sell him to save my sanity. All the evidence seems to be pointing that way or am I missing something fundamental? My instructor can ride him well but he's been riding since he started to walk. What should I do?

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
Sorry, does your instructor have the same issues with cantering on him?

Just purely because of his age (not that its exactly old), and if he's the right horse for you in every other sense I'd perservere. Could you try a different instructor?

Can you get him cantering out hacking?

Little Ted

Visit site
My instructor uses more leg before he drops out of canter. He tells me to do the same as I ride but I've either not got enough to give or I'm tense (paralysed) because I'm actually in canter.

As I'm cautious I've only hacked him out a handful of times. He spooked once and I got a good canter but not something I'd choose to repeat in a hurry.

Unfortunately there isn't a good choice of instructors where I am and he is broadly the best of the bunch.

I agree with your sentiment, he's a super horse in every other way and if I could crack the canter he could teach me a lot, but at the moment it's like having a Ferrari and never getting out of 2nd gear!

Little Ted

Visit site
My instructor uses more leg before he drops out of canter. He tells me to do the same as I ride but I've either not got enough to give or I'm tense (paralysed) because I'm actually in canter.

As I'm cautious I've only hacked him out a handful of times. He spooked once and I got a good canter but not something I'd choose to repeat in a hurry.

Unfortunately there isn't a good choice of instructors where I am and he is broadly the best of the bunch.

I agree with your sentiment, he's a super horse in every other way and if I could crack the canter he could teach me a lot, but at the moment it's like having a Ferrari and never getting out of 2nd gear!

WelshD

Visit site
he doesnt really sound like a schoolmaster

If he genuinely was then I would imagine this would have been your best shot at getting it right and changing the horse probably wont actually help

Id press on or change your instructor and press on - the best of the bunch isnt necessarily the best for you

Tiffany

Visit site
Sounds like you tense up when in canter so you could be blocking him through his back. What about a lunge lesson then you can concentrate on using your seat and legs and your instructor can send him on if he breaks back into trot.

If your instructor can canter him but you can't then is it worth trying a different instructor. A good rider isn't always a good instructor or, he may not be explaining in a way that makes sense to you?

Can you keep him in canter when hacking out? (Just noticed Fleabite asked the same question)

Be a shame to sell him if he's everything you want in every other way.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Maybe have some lessons at a riding school on a different horse. May help you learn the technique and relax more on someone else. Sometimes its just a mental block so getting on a horse that you have no history of failing on helps.

Little Ted

Visit site
All good advice. I have done some work on the lunge but not on him for a long time so it's definitely worth another try as I know my frustration causes me to be tense. Ive just started working on my own more doing lots of transitions and trying to stay more relaxed. It is making me feel better.

I'm not in the UK so believe me, English speaking instructors are rare but I take your point. Had I been in the UK I'd have changed by now.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Just wondering whether a few lessons on a mechanical horse would help if you have one near you. I'm approaching your age and have recently got a new youngish horse and I feel I have a few niggles I would like to put right so this is something I'm considering. Just to be able to concentrate on what I am doing rather than the horse. Equally lunge lessons may do the trick as well.

Little Ted

Visit site
I did have a week of lessons on one of my instructors horses. It took me a little time to adjust but I was cantering around the arena without being tense. I suspect I need more of this...

Little Ted

Visit site
Unfortunately there aren't any mechanical horses here. About four years ago I had a few lessons in the UK which included the first one on a mechanical horse for insurance purposes. It was quite fun and I found all the right buttons then. I think the lunge will be a useful step unless I head back to the UK sometime soon. Cheers

Tammytoo

Visit site
Being a schoolmaster isn't the same as being an easy horse to ride. He has been trained to respond to the correct signals and when he gets these he works well. The idea is that he teaches you to ride correctly by responding to the correct aids.

When you get tense you stiffen and effectively say slow down!

I know it sounds silly, but have you tried singing whilst riding and schooling? It is almost impossible to be tense whilst singing and if you can find a turne that matches his canter rythym all the better. Try the theme tune to the Horse of the Year Show at the top of your voice!

This was a tip given to us at PC many, many moons ago and it still works for me.

Little Ted

Visit site
Thanks, I'll definitely try singing. I'd never made the connection before but when I ride on my own I play music and sing along.....and I'm usually more relaxed.

Without doubt one of my main problems is I think too much.

Kaylum

Visit site
yep get on the lunge without stirrups. We used to do over half our lesson without them but nobody does these day. It will make your position better and make you stronger.

Norfolk Pie

Visit site
I'm wondering if your instructor has established good enough basics, or if little faults from your position are having a bigger impact in canter? It's easy to keep pushing people in to more "challenging paces/ movements" because as instructors we feel they won't be getting value for money if we don't step them up to canter. I'd suggest looking into coaches specilising in rider biomechanics.
To be truthful, no well schooled horse should be kept in canter by using more leg. They should go in to canter from a signal, and maintain it until given a signal to stop. I would wonder if your horse is finding maintaining canter difficult, either through his current physique / level of schooling, or through the influence of the rider. I find some of Joni Bentleys articles really interesting, and a lot my clients find they suddenly make a breakthrough.

Might be worth a google. I get tired of instructors just saying more leg, sit up, push him forward- the riders can't do that, because of fundamental faults - riding becomes pressure and force, instead of signals :)

Good luck :)

showpony

Visit site
Has this problem being going on for 3 yrs? :eek:
Suggest if youve been using the same instructor CHANGE asap.

You say you are riding in a double bridle as he is strong BUT obviously not that strong if you cant maintain a canter!

Also why are you riding in " Big Spurs" ? Have you tried backing up your leg with a schooling whip?

Sorry I seem a bit sceptical but I can't understand why someone would let this problem continue for a few weeks let alone 3 yrs.

Have you had his back checked lately?

I'm the proud owner of an 18yr dressage school master. He's my first ever horse (I'm 50) and I've had him for 3yrs. I'd only taken up riding a couple of years before buying him from a reliable source. My problem is that I can't keep him in canter. To be honest I didn't do well with canter before him due to poor quality school horse, but thought he'd teach me. All my instructor says is I need to push him on more because he's learned he can stop. I have three lessons a week and ride at least once on my own. My boy can be very strong once he gets going which can be scary and in his previous life competed/went better in a double bridle. I started out with him in a French link but have progressed to a double and bigger spurs. But this isn't what I wanted when I set out. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement. To my way of thinking if I can't canter him around the whole arena after 3 years but I can on a different horse, then I ought to sell him to save my sanity. All the evidence seems to be pointing that way or am I missing something fundamental? My instructor can ride him well but he's been riding since he started to walk. What should I do?

ossy

Visit site
^^^^^I too was wondering about the double bridle and big spurs? Maybe a change in instructor or you say you have about three lessons a week could you alternate instructors and find a balance.

Little Ted

Visit site
Like what you say Norfolk Pie, and the last two posts echo my own thoughts exactly which is why I'm questioning everything. It was never my intention to ride in big spurs or a double; I feel its just masking the problems rather than fixing my issues. I do carry a schooling whip as backup to my legs, but I know I'm tentative in using it. When I ride on my own I use a snaffle and tiny spurs or none at all. He listens to me but I struggle maintaining good outline.

I mentioned getting his back checked to my instructor but he said he didn't think it was a problem with the horse (meaning me). I will probably do it anyhow and tell him I've done it. The problem there is the vet is local so he'll have a chat with my instructor....and bingo, I look like a paranoid newby again.

Without doubt part of my issue is I never learnt to ride as a child or properly as an adult so assumptions are made that I know more than I do even if I take time to explain. Believe me I would change instructors if I were in the UK, but I'm not so I've got to try and influence the direction which is more difficult from a novice position.

I'm really pleased I posted the question as I've had some great feedback, and am satified I'm not going mad and am right to question things. It has occurred to me that my beautiful boy would have possibly been a better 2nd horse but isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

noodle_

Visit site
i would suggest a different horse/week of lessons with someone else?

if you can afford it - mabey "swap" for a week - instructor rides your horse and you ride something else?

:)

Roody2

Visit site
It sounds a bit like you may be riding with the handbrake on, you say he gets strong so are you inadvertently holding him back because you're worried? Also, after 3 years he will likely have become accustomed to this way of going so you need to break the cycle not only in yourself but in him.
Stop worrying and go with the flow a bit more. If you can get someone to ride him in for you, they warm him up, work him and get him cantering nicely and then you sit on him for 10 mins at the end - that should help you feel what it should feel like and get used to a proper canter.

soulfull

Visit site
I really feel for you. Must be so hard to be in your position. I totally agree with roody!
You are somehow holding him back. I think maybe deep down your are afraid he will run away with you if you REALLY let him 'canter on'. If this isn't the case get him into canter. Forget about outline. Get up out of your seat and use what leg you can manage and use your voice to get him to go forward. You have to make sure your not holding his head! Put a strap between the d rings on your saddle for you to hold on (this strap will give u so much confidence!!)
If you would like the number of somewhere you can come to in the UK for a week of lessons pm me
The lady I will tell you about has made SO much difference to my riding I can't even begin to explain :)

Little Ted

Visit site
Spot on Soulfull and Roody. I got my better half to video my lesson last Saturday and showed it to an experienced rider today. He said I definitely put the breaks on almost as soon as I go into canter and my face changes - I look scared!

This week I'm going to work on my own, singing, relaxed and try to chill. I'll then review what I want to do. I'd be grateful for the UK recommendation in any case.

Thanks to all for the feedback and support. I shall persevere.

Natch

Visit site
Can you have a lesson where you work without reins for part of the time? And stirrups, as time progresses ;)

I would also do some visualisation. Get some nice mood music, and play it while at home relaxing. close your eyes and imagine asking for and getting, the perfect canter. He maintains it easily and you are so relaxed and riding with purpose and focus. What does it look like? What does it feel like? what smells can you smell? Listen to his hoofbeats and your rhythmic breathing. Amplify and intensify all of those things. Pop the music on when you get on your horse, and recreate it, and try to just know that it's all goign to go really well. :)

Jazzy B

Visit site
OP I feel really sorry for you! It really doesn't sound like you are having much fun at all and like others have said you are a little worried about this horse and "riding with the hand break on".

I'm not sure if I'm particularly impressed with your instructor, bigger spurs and a double bridle?? I would probably be looking for a new instructor.

I would try and come to the UK if you can, perhaps book yourself into a week's tuition somewhere, get yourself out hacking and then go back and reassess. If you still feel the same way about your horse I would say his probably not the right one for you!.

Cluny

Visit site
Just a thought, from what I understand from your post, you usually ride in the school and don't hack out. It could be that he has become very stale as some horses can and really needs a complete break from schooling and get out hacking to reinvigorate him. If this is a bit scary for you, can you pay your instructor to take him out.

Pigeon

Visit site
I wouldn't sell over something like that. I was always taught, if your horse has a problem, you fix it. And that has served me well. Think how rewarding it will be when you get over this issue!

It sounds as if you're literally not using enough leg, and horse is not respecting the aids you are giving. This is a communication problem and I don't think a bigger bit/spurs is the answer. What's he like when you canter him out on hacks? Do you have trouble maintaining it then? Try lots of transitions, literally every few strides, to get him more off the leg. Also try trot to canter, canter three strides, then ask back to trot. Then gradually build up, so that you decide when the canter finishes, not him.

Pigeon

Visit site
And Cluny's right. My horse is a horror if I school him more than twice a week. He's very talented at his dressage, he just finds constant schooling tedious! Maybe yours is the same.