Should i start to push Blue now?

Lill

Visit site
As in ask a little more of him jumping wise?

Up to now i have been really careful with him as in if i do a .95 class i will then do a smaller one the next time i.e .85 and then the .95 as i don't want him to lose confidence or overface him. But now he will happily take ME round the .85 no problems and only needs a little help with the occasional spread in the .95 and we are doing a BN next Fri so will see how he goes round that.

He is 6yo and when we first started jumping he would trash probably 4 or 5 fences out of each round (hence why i've not wanted to overface him or him to lose interest) over the past sort of 2 yrs he has come on well and almost always will jump a double clear, never runs out or stops and is really very honest.

Do you think that now i can start to ask a bit more from him maybe start to push him a little more and to what limit? i.e. Discovery classes or 1.05 classes? Or?

filly190

Visit site
Its a difficult question, not seeing you both. You know him inside out and have obviously produced him. It sounds like you have done a really good job and lots of people rush young horses and experience problems, not in your case!

I would continue as you are, until you feel that he is completely ready for the next stage, only you will really know that. If you have any question marks, hang fire for a bit.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Seeing him jump a few weeks back, I would definitely say he has the confidence to do the bigger stuff. Are you jumping bigger stuff at home? How is he coping with that?

You have done so well with him, he is definitely a credit to you!!!!!!!!

Lill

Visit site
Ha yer he tends to now be overconfident on the lower courses and where i've forgotten to change to the waterford for jumping recently each time he's gone 'stuff you' i'm gonna do it my way and taken me round the course all i've been able to do is steer!

Tend to mainly do flatwork at home and jumping at shows. But when we do jump at home its usually at about 2ft 9 to 3ft with a spread, double, huge cross and small cross (to start) and he is fine over them!

Seen any nice Blue imitations yet?
smile.gif

ihatework

Visit site
He's lovely and a vredit to you.
I'd probably go out and do a 2 or 3 BN's and providing he's coping fine then there's no reason you couldn't then start discoveries.
Was that duckhurst show unaff or aff? only asking as there didn't seem to be much width on the fences which might be something to consider when starting aff shows

Lill

Visit site
That was a Trailblazers last month. He has been affiliated for a year although we have only managed to get to maybe 3 shows to do the BN novice class for various reasons and have not done one since March i don't think!! If i remember correctly he went clear or got a pole down can't really remember exactly.

He did cope with the width when we have done them previously although he had to put a bit more effort into it and we've practised loads of one stride combinations at home so he should be ok.

Think i'm just getting a bit impatient now lol!

KatB

Visit site
Ohh didnt realise he was coloured!! He is gorgeous, and looks very confident!

At the end of the day, you know him best, and if he is confident at BN, why not give a bigger class a go? May be worth doing a 95cm Trailblazers, then the 1.05 as over same course, just bigger, so should give you an indication of whther he is ready for the height.
smile.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Not yet but looking at 4 at the weekend, 1 WB (don't think it will be me) and 3 Cobs (a bit heavier then Blue but all coloured).

When are competing next because I would love to come and watch again???

Lill

Visit site
He's fine over the .95 Trailblazers thats what the pics are of not tried the 1.05 class yet though. Was just wondering if he's done enough and is confident enough for me to ask more of him if that makes sense? Maybe just have to try and see!

JoElla - We are jumping on Sunday at Duckhurst doing the .85 and .95 if you are around then?

Have convinced Bill to jump Monty too he's not convinced - is a bit nervous i think!

Have been looking at horse deals and horse mart etc but there does not seem to be many on there that match the description you want!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Ohh, what kind of time are you down there, I’ll hopefully see you there as I'm free Sunday? Is Bill bringing his coloured as well, lovely boy?

Yeah there aren’t much of the 'Blue' types around; I think people don't sell them because they are too good! As I say I'll see what these neddies are like on Saturday, they are all youngsters but I'm more then happy to put the time and effort into a baby again.

Lill

Visit site
Think we are getting there at about 11.30 but if you wanna come watch anytime from then until i should think about 2ish?

Bill's not taking his coloured he's taking his other one Monty the 17hh WB that i jumped at Duckhurst for him the other week - he went fine for me (so Bill should be ok!) though i struggled with corners a little as i'd only ridden him once for about ten mins before i jumped him!

Choice of 3 ay? What are they like?