Should I stay or should I go ????

tubby1

Visit site
Sorry another livery yard thread, I moved 3 months ago to a lovely small yard and it's been great. Really nice facilities, nice people very little bitching. Unfortunately the turn out is awful very boggy, clay type soil. , my mare has lost shoes, been injured etc but nothing major. When I moved the yard owner said they were sorting other fields but this hasn't happened yet.
So here is my dilemma ( I think I already know the answer) my daughter and I are very happy at this yard ( we moved from a very bitchy yard with a looney owner ) but it's not fair for the horses not to be getting out to enjoy the summer. I have huge confidence issues so moving yards is a nightmare for me. My horse took ages to settle at this yard but is happy now so I am worried about moving her as well.
I think I know I gave to move because the horses welfare is the most important thing just need a bit of reassurance .

Auslander

Visit site
It's not going to be clayey and boggy during the summer, so if the yard is good, and the owners and liveries are decent, why not hang in there for a bit, but explain to the owners that you can't do another winter there unless the grazing is sorted out.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Sorry another livery yard thread, I moved 3 months ago to a lovely small yard and it's been great. Really nice facilities, nice people very little bitching. Unfortunately the turn out is awful very boggy, clay type soil. , my mare has lost shoes, been injured etc but nothing major. When I moved the yard owner said they were sorting other fields but this hasn't happened yet.
So here is my dilemma ( I think I already know the answer) my daughter and I are very happy at this yard ( we moved from a very bitchy yard with a looney owner ) but it's not fair for the horses not to be getting out to enjoy the summer. I have huge confidence issues so moving yards is a nightmare for me. My horse took ages to settle at this yard but is happy now so I am worried about moving her as well.
I think I know I gave to move because the horses welfare is the most important thing just need a bit of reassurance .

I would go to Y/O and ask her when field management will take place and tell her your concerns. Ask her what she has in mind for the land to reduce the boggyness.

I would rather someone came to me with their concerns and talked it through than have livery's bottle things up.

casspow

Visit site
You've pointed out a lot of good in your new yard and only 1 bad point, see if anyone else feels the same and definitely contact Y/O to see if your turnout will be sorted, especially if it was promised : )

tubby1

Visit site
I have spoken to the Y/O and they keep promising , we currently don't have any summer fields only a couple of very overgrazed winter turnout paddocks. If it was just the ground I could cope but I can't see any sign of new paddocks being fenced etc .

fatpiggy

Visit site
Leave - it could be years before they do anything about the fields and it sounds like you just don't have enough grazing, end of. I would take a very close look at the potential yards you visit, and ask alot of questions, preferably of the other liveries who aren't trying to sell you the place.