Should I stay or should I go?

shadowboy

Visit site
I have a 2 year old gelding. I'm also pregnant. Due mid winter 😬.

I'm currently liverying on a farm where there are only 4 stables and currently 5 horses. My 2 year old is turned out 24/7 and he can remain 24/7 through winter as they have 16 acres. However I know at least 3 of the others will come in every night through winter. I'm not sure about his field buddy? I never ever seem to be up at the same time as the girl who owns him so not sure of her plans. I'd rather if I kept him at current yard that he stayed out as the yard and fields are not in view of each other (there is a quiet lane I have to use) so I'd always have to leave the little one (baby) unattended at some point when bringing in/turning out etc- not ideal. Plus I'm worried about him being out alone- the lack of stables. Until I can track girl down to see what she plans to do.

Potential yard - he'd have to come in once the clocks change but there are 7 stables and only 5 horses and the fields are visable from the L-shaped yard at all times so baby would not need to be left unattended at any point but it is more expensive and 7 minutes further away. My youngster has never been stabled for long periods of time either so no idea what would happen if weather bad as its a brand new yard so winter turnout untested!

Annagain

Visit site
Find out what the other girl intends to do first. Leave a note with your number and ask her to phone you so you can discuss winter plans. Once you know, you're in a better position to make a decision.

Don't under-estimate how difficult managing a new baby and a young horse on DIY will be. Having the horse out would probably relieve some of this pressure. If you do move, do they offer services so you can have a few weeks to get used to having the baby needing your attention before having to fit the horse in too? If you don't, is there someone to check him over for a week or so while you find your feet with the baby?

Good luck with the baby and the potential move!

ihatework

Visit site
Find yourself a retirement and youngstock herd situation and leave him out 24/7.

He's only 2, a social group will be good for him and easier for you with a newborn to deal with

shadowboy

Visit site
Find out what the other girl intends to do first. Leave a note with your number and ask her to phone you so you can discuss winter plans. Once you know, you're in a better position to make a decision.

Don't under-estimate how difficult managing a new baby and a young horse on DIY will be. Having the horse out would probably relieve some of this pressure. If you do move, do they offer services so you can have a few weeks to get used to having the baby needing your attention before having to fit the horse in too? If you don't, is there someone to check him over for a week or so while you find your feet with the baby?

Good luck with the baby and the potential move!
Good idea about the note! I will do that tonight. This is baby number 2 so I have some memory of doing it last time with my eventer (now sold due to pregnancy) it is manageable as long as I can always see pushchair or car but can't do that on current set up. Both yards offer services at pretty much the same cost.

With regards to youngstock livery- I can't really do that with current chap for two reasons- he was feral before I was given him in February so needs frequent human contact or regresses and secondly the nearest one is really expensive! More expensive than both current options.