should i take the plunge..?

PinkFairy

Visit site
our college is holding a dressage show (well, the NA/BHS students are) and we are all invited to enter. One of my tutors suggested I have a go but i've never competed before in anything, and I would never have chosen dressage really but all my friends are joining in and it IS part of our practical experience bit of the course. My tutor said if i enter i would do the test A which is the novice one but I'm petrified! Any tips/suggestions/comments? I'm also a bit nervous as im hearing impaired!!
confused.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
GO FOR IT!

Just have fun, don't take it too seriously and enjoy.
They flow once you get going. I find it easier to learn the test then have someone call for me anyway. Write out some letters stick then on your living room floor and starting practicing you pretend canter moves, that's how I do it!

Just us know how you get on!

sevenoceans

Visit site
Hey Pink rider... there's me and another person in this forum is hearing impaired!!! I am Profoundly deaf...

I have done alot of PC/RC eventing, Dressage is my weakness not due to hearing impairment it's just i don't enjoy it.

As we can't hear call out we had to memorise the test thoroughly.

The other person here is very good at dressage.

I would just go and enjoy it.. it will gain some experince...

Jemayni

Visit site
Go for it!!!! Dressage is never really that scary when you get stuck in, never think of it as competing because you aren't really, only against the elements - no one will be competitive and everyone will be willing you on big-style! If you're worried about your hearing I suggest you learn it, and memorize it like you've never memorized before in your life! Besides it will give you an advantage as callers are always difficult to hear anyway (partic when the tannoy goes off in the middle of your test
shocked.gif
) and it means you can prepare your next movement better, you can always have a caller there anyway which'll give your horse and you more confidence even if you can't hear them!

Good Luck

PinkFairy

Visit site
bit of a blonde question but what is a call out? I assume its when they announce the next move/transition? Im willing to do it I'm just nervous!

sevenoceans

Visit site
Yes Call out is someone telling you the test/moves/transition etc as you ride the test.. I never had call out cos i can't hear it and memorised the test off by heart..

I can be nervous but i just got on with it...

mrgoop

Visit site
Go for it you will really enjoy it, and even if you don't you've done it and can put it down to experience. Good Luck!! Let us know how you get on xx