Should I trim heels of New Forest pony for showing?

wanderersmelody

Visit site
I will be showing a New Forest pony in-hand and whilst I am an experienced show person, M & M's are not my speciality. I have read the websites relating to the showing tips and it does say that you can trim the heels of a NF pony but does this mean completely trim out as you would a part bred arab or does it just mean tidy up a bit? I know that I can tidy up the jawline but leave the whiskers on and that the mane and tail shoudl be left unplaited, its just the heels that I'm unsure of. Any advice from a pro M & M bod would be appreciated.

be positive

Visit site
You can trim the heels but try and do them so it blends in and does not look cut, a week or so before the show is ideal. The mane can be pulled to a neat length again it should still look fairly natural but not long as you would an Arab or other natives. The top of the tail can also be pulled into a neat shape to enhance their shape, again not so pulled that it looks it, it should be cut neatly at the bottom, not too short. Ears can be trimmed to the edge and jaw line neatly trimmed.
The idea is to enhance the pony without them looking as if anything is done.

wanderersmelody

Visit site
Marvellous - thank you! I shall give him a tidy over this weekend. I will have a few problems with his mane as it was tidied up by someone else recently showjumping style.......Fingers crossed it will grow soon!

be positive

Visit site
The mane wont matter too much, plenty are plaited for other activities just try to let the ends get a bit untidy and it will be fine.