Should in foal mares be put up for auction

type of hat for dressage phase

• Total voters

_jetset_

Visit site
Sorry, I said yes to them being put up at 5 months. My mare is almost five months and she is absolutely fine travelling, being ridden etc. As long as it is declared I can't see the problem.

But, your earlier post said one of the mares was bagged up. Now I do think this is very very wrong and feel really sorry for the poor mare!

S_N

Visit site
I've only just caught up with your previous thread!

If ALL the info is correct and correlates to the horse, then I see little reason NOT to put it through the auction ring! I used to work in the TB industry in sales and it was not unusal to have a foal born during the January Sales and then both mare and foal go through the ring together, job lot so to speak.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
How about only a little bit in foal but no information?
smile.gif
As long as the seller tells you the mare is in foal, I suppose it's the buyer's lookout/choice....
Course that is my very simplistic outlook and I might well be missing something...

cariadssogreat

Visit site
I think I am just annoyed at the lack of welfare at the sales I went to - lack of description - and general lack of care - which I am sure is from the vendor -although surely the auctioneers have some responsibility to the animal. The RSPCA were as clueless as ever - why oh why don't the ILPH attend horse auctions instead of that lot.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I agree with you about the RSPCA, at sales, they are the most useless bunch of clowns you ever will see at one but I do not agree that mares in foal should not be put through an auction.
It happens all the time, people need to sell for a variety of reasons so the timing cannot always be helped; ideally they won't be near enough to foaling but sometimes it can't be helped. I would rather the mare found a new home than possibly be left or neglected if the owner can't afford to keep it properly or some other calamity has happened to change their circumstances.
But at the end of the day, if you knowingly buy a mare in foal, hopefully you are realistic enough to know what it entails but you can't legislate against something like that; people's common sense does have a part to play in all this too. If you can't cope with a mare in foal then don't buy it, simple as that, but some people go a bit crazy at auctions and get carried away on the heat of the moment especially if there is an 'AAArrrrrrrgggghhhhhh factor' involved. But also look on this forum, I can think of at least three mares this year that were bought NOT knowing they were in foal; they can look upon it as a 'bonus'!!
BTW, after the mix up with ages on the mare you bought, are you sure the pasport is the correct one for that mare, it has been known for them to get mixed up? Also, each lot is entered with information supplied by the vendor so the auctioneer can only go by that; if they have supplied the wrong age you will have to take it up with them unless it was a warranted sale in which case you might have comeback.

JM7

Visit site
what a strange answer???.......

i personally don't see the problem...an in-foal mare is no different to be going through the ring than a gelding/mare/filly/colt etc...and as pat say's..if you get a filly home and she produces a foal, then bonus..ask josiejo!! my little newfie mare came as buy one get one free...brilliant!!
although i wont be making a habit of having tinies around again..not my cup of tea!

lennysmith

Visit site
I said yes. I got Josie when she was roughly 5 months in faol from a deale rwhod got her the previous day from an auction. I cant see that it did her any harm. I also hope that she was lucky to have come to me to have her baby, rather than where she was. As her feet were ina state she was scared and obviously lacking trust in anyone. Now she's as happy as larry
grin.gif

horsegirl

Visit site
strange how? Furryears keeps posting about how awful it is that in foal mares are sent to auction so why buy one then? I think it is a perfectly valid question

JM7

Visit site
ahh, the confusion stemmed from the fact your reply was to MFH..not furryears..i read it as if you'd replied to Pat