Should you call out bad service/warn others?

TPO

Visit site
I'll try and keep it short but not a strong point of mine!

A few years ago I had a really bad experience with a saddle fitter. Finally the fitter agreed in writing that the saddle was made wrong and refunded me the purchase price. I was left out of pocket for the fitting fee, postage to receive and return the saddle but if I had to be out anything rsther a few hundred for that than a few thousand for thr saddle.

Their service the whole way through was awful/non existent and it was very stressful because the saddle was thousands and useless. They told me I'd have the saddle in 6wks and iirc it was 13 then it took weeks to get a resolution. There was no communication about the delays and when I chased up the delivery it took a long time to get a reply despite then reading the message. I did call a few times too.

I posted about the experience on here previously when a poster specifically asked about buying this type of saddle. The fitter stalks my posts & their business name on here so got admin to remove it (it was only facts that I could prove with her messages and the photos of the saddle) and then messaged me calling me a liar. It did amuse me that their message saying the saddle was fine and that I was lying was directly below their message admitting that I was right and the saddle was wrong.

Anyhows, getting to my point...

I was in contact with an internet stranger via fb marketplace. They were talking about getting a made to measure saddle and directly asked me if I had used this person.

I admitted that I had and that it was a very bad experience. I advised that they learn from my mistake and get a refund policy in writing should the saddle arrive and not fit.

Was I wrong to do that?

I really wish someone had given me the heads up. I found out afterwards that I wasn't alone with having a bad experience and met a few people at a show (after overhearing them bad mouthing the fitter) who also weren't happy with the service.

I have never said/written anything that wasn't true and that I couldn't back up/prove.

So basically would you give people the heads up that you wish you'd been given before using the services of someone or so you think people can/should make their own mistakes?

Illusion100

Visit site

A few years ago I had a really bad experience with a saddle fitter. Finally the fitter agreed in writing that the saddle was made wrong and refunded me the purchase price. I was left out of pocket for the fitting fee, postage to receive and return the saddle but if I had to be out anything rsther a few hundred for that than a few thousand for thr saddle.

Their service the whole way through was awful/non existent and it was very stressful because the saddle was thousands and useless. They told me I'd have the saddle in 6wks and iirc it was 13 then it took weeks to get a resolution. There was no communication about the delays and when I chased up the delivery it took a long time to get a reply despite then reading the message. I did call a few times too.

I posted about the experience on here previously when a poster specifically asked about buying this type of saddle. The fitter stalks my posts & their business name on here so got admin to remove it (it was only facts that I could prove with her messages and the photos of the saddle) and then messaged me calling me a liar. It did amuse me that their message saying the saddle was fine and that I was lying was directly below their message admitting that I was right and the saddle was wrong.

I was in contact with an internet stranger via fb marketplace. They were talking about getting a made to measure saddle and directly asked me if I had used this person.

I admitted that I had and that it was a very bad experience. I advised that they learn from my mistake and get a refund policy in writing should the saddle arrive and not fit.

Was I wrong to do that?

I really wish someone had given me the heads up. I found out afterwards that I wasn't alone with having a bad experience and met a few people at a show (after overhearing them bad mouthing the fitter) who also weren't happy with the service.

I have never said/written anything that wasn't true and that I couldn't back up/prove.

So basically would you give people the heads up that you wish you'd been given before using the services of someone or so you think people can/should make their own mistakes?

Yeah, I think people should definitely be given a heads up.

It's tough enough finding reputable professionals/yards. All you can do is give an account of your experience and leave it up to that individual to ask for other opinions and make a decision based on the information they gather.

Renvers

Visit site
You did right, someone asked you outright about your experience and you gave your honest opinion based on the facts of your encounter with them.

It sounds like you had an awful experience and to then have that person accuse you of being a liar rather than some more professional response is a joke. It suggests to me that they don't really consider the customer's experience as more important that their personal reputation.

EllenJay

Visit site
Difficult one - what was a bad experience for you could be a good experience for someone else. If I was asked directly about a service then I would say something along the lines of “I wasn’t happy, but other people may have had a different experience “
Saddle fitting is a mine field and what works for one person and their horse doesn’t work for someone else

onemoretime

Visit site

Was I wrong to do that?

Definitely give heads up whether buying a horse or equipment.

TPO

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I feel justified now in trying to do a good deed for unsuspecting people.

I do recommend people who do a good job and make a point to write good reviews etc.

I didn't mean to make it quite so specific to me. I was trying to use that to illustrate my point and ask if others would do similar.

What one person likes in a saddler/farrier/vet might not be what work for another. However when it's a bad or harmful service beyond just not liking or agreeing I think that is different.

There is a long story (surprise, surprise!) about how I ended up buying my horse unseen as a 2yr old. A malnourished skeleton arrived despite the stud having a good public reputation. Prior to his arrival lots of previous customers contacting me with congratulations and praise for the stud.

My horse arrived without his passport (another story), the transporter (owners wife) phoned me screaming about horses awful condition after they lifted him without a passport (somehow my fault) and breeder tried to blame horses condition on transporter. So I didnt post about his arrival on my fb because he looked so awful (got a vet check when he arrived he was so poor) and I was waiting for his passport.

A few of the "happy" previous customers messaged me asking about his arrival and then if he was in poor condition. Unprompted they shared their stories of their skinny horses and the stud that "makes Steptoe & Sons look like Buckingham Palace".

It all came out that it's an open secret amongst the people of that breed how badly that stud keeps horses. I was sent photos of other youngsters and mares in almost ad bad condition.

My point being all those people knew but were happy to like/support/recommend the stud then spread whispers in secret about the ugly truth. At least 3 of us reported the stud to welfare organisations and theyve since stopped breeding as many.

As an aside there were reasons for me buying unseen and although I wasnt happy about my poor 2yr old being neglected up until that point he is an amazing horse with amazing bloodlines. If they just looked after them and had less they would have made a fortune anyways...

Even the saddle fitter that I am referring to is a similar situation. I know others that had a bad experience with them (I have it in writing) yet publically/on fb they like/support and recommend them ?

I dont understand that at all.

Anyway I'm just rambling on (as usual ?)

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
You did the right thing TPO...maintaining your integrity is important. I know that if I asked you a direct question you wouldn’t “flannel” me, it would be the truth as you experienced it and based on that I could make a decision. People like that are few and far between. I applaud you.

TPO

Visit site
You did the right thing TPO...maintaining your integrity is important. I know that if I asked you a direct question you wouldn’t “flannel” me, it would be the truth as you experienced it and based on that I could make a decision. People like that are few and far between. I applaud you.

Aww thanks. I'm truly a big wimp in most circumstances so it does play in my mind when I "ruffle feathers" even when I know I'm right and can prove things beyond all doubt.

With this saddle incident I can jaut remember the fear that I'd thrown thousands away with a saddle that was so useless it coulsnt even be sold because she had instructed it incorrectly. I couldn't/can't afford to lose thousands.

If by any chance I'd struggled on using shims or what have you I'd have ended up with a large physio bill for poor horses back and shoulders.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would have done the same, these days every company that i buy from wants a review, if i do give a review i am honest about it. i have just bought something from amazon and it wasnt supplied with everything advertised. it still works without but i chose this company because of this extra part. i told them it was missing and asked for it to be sent. they said they were unable to send it and offered a small refund. i am not happy and after quite a bit of discussion they are now sending me a better refund and hope that i am now satisfied. they will be getting a review and it wont be very positive because they did not provide the missing part and have been awkward in their communications...i wouldnt want someone else to have the same problem so i will highlight it...

Griffin

Visit site
I always praise good service and recommend good people/companies. However, I will always warn others of bad service too, particularly with my pets.

I had a bad experience with a saddle fitter and I was lucky to only end up about £800 out of pocket and no lasting damage to the horse. I anyone asks me about them, I do tell them my experience (and mine is not unique).

Caol Ila

Visit site
When people have asked me for saddler recommendations, I'm very forthright about my not-so-good experience with a local-ish one.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I give people my honest opinion, good, bad or indifferent.

That isn't to say that I believe people shouldn't make their own mistakes. I believe, armed with their own feelings on the subject, plus opinions from other's, people then make their own decisions.

Mistakes are part of life. We cannot be guaranteed of making no mistakes.

This is why I sometimes feel a little nonplussed when posters on forums deride someone for making a blunder after having received advice. We are free to make our own decisions.

But to sum up, you did well, TPO.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I am reminded now of a saddle I have here at home, buried away out of sight, which was once a lovely saddle. I had the bright idea to have it altered and sent it away to a company with my own tracings of my horse's back and instructions of what I thought I wanted. Whole thing was a disaster but not because of what they did but from what I did.

Anyhow, I never rubbish that company. I think they were working with their hands tied behind their back and their eyes blindfolded.

One day (I was thinking recently) I might get it changed back to what it was, maybe. If that's possible.