Shouldnt buying a new horse be exciting?

LadyLexicon

Visit site
Instead im terrified!!!!

Vetting is on thursday after nearly a year of looking!!! Fingers crossed!!!!

Last one i bought went lame 2 weeks after getting her home and took 6 years to rehab!

Anyone else really nervous when (hopefully) buying a newbie?

SOS

Visit site
I bought a new horse 2 months ago, the day of the vetting I felt physically sick as I had been looking for a long time and this was the first horse I had even enjoyed riding when trialled. The first two weeks I was unfortunately away during the weekdays and had several sleepless nights regretting my choice despite the horse doing nothing wrong. So I completely sympathise that buying a horse can feel horrible!

Now I am loving everyday with him more and more and no longer worry quite so much. Personally it was financial worry for me, I have always struggled to spend and regret purchases on expensive things I need (I.e a bed at one point!) so the logical side of me was very concerned about the money I had plunged into this horse. Insuring him up to his eyeballs made me feel better though :p

Chuffy99

Visit site
Should be such fun but is a quest to find out the truth or at least what the seller isn’t telling you as there are so many frogs but not so many princes and then having found your prince the wicked Vet comes along and shatters your dreams (or saves you from the black financial pit)

Jo1987

Visit site
Yes I’d be terrified!
The only horse I’ve bought (in adulthood, it was exciting when I was a kid!) was already at my yard, and in the same field as my cantankerous first pony so I knew they’d get on 😂 Bringing home an ‘unknown’ would be very scary!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I love buying and miss it if I haven't bought one for a while.

But I never try and find 'the one'. I have a very wide spec, buy the first one I see that meets the spec, and after assessing it at home for a while, I will sell it if it isn't what I want. So far, I've kept every one bought that way for years.

I bought the second horse I saw back at the end of November and so far I am over the moon with my new boy, he is far, far better than I thought he would be.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I like it but I usually buy babies or unbroken youngsters and don't pay a lot so there's not so much tied up in it. I also have very rarely had one I didn't like or get on with and always think with the option of 'I can sell on if I want'. If I had invested a lot of money I might have a different attitude. My current youngster cost me more to transport home than I paid for him and he is an absolute darling.

honetpot

Visit site

But I never try and find 'the one'. I have a very wide spec, buy the first one I see that meets the spec, and after assessing it at home for a while, I will sell it if it isn't what I want. So far, I've kept every one bought that way for years.

I bought the second horse I saw back at the end of November and so far I am over the moon with my new boy, he is far, far better than I thought he would be.

I am more like this.
I spend very little, expect very little and I usually pleasantly surprised. I think I have only had one 5 stage vetted, and the one I hoped would fail a 2 stage , bought for my besotted daughter passed as well.
I am dreadful at selling them though, I hang on too long.

SpringArising

Visit site

But I never try and find 'the one'. I have a very wide spec, buy the first one I see that meets the spec

This is me as well. My criteria is always the same: 4-8 and 13.2-14.2. Aside from that it's a matter of what pleases my eye! I don't vet, and my last one for example I took the lorry with me and bought him the first time I tried him.

I've been saying this for years, but the next one WILL be something easy, something nice to ride and something established!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I spend very little and buy something that needs a life upgrade and is a project in some shape or form. There must be something I like about the horse and it must be reasonably correct and move straight but otherwise my criteria is 15hhs, no older than 12 and almost certainly a gelding. There are thousands that fit that criteria. I only ever enquire about ones that have caught my eye for some reason and I almost always but the first one I see. I find it all very exciting!

I find if you pay pennies for them then you have no expectations and when little things crop up, as they always do, its fine. You expect them with a project.

Visit site
I spend very little and buy something that needs a life upgrade and is a project in some shape or form. There must be something I like about the horse and it must be reasonably correct and move straight but otherwise my criteria is 15hhs, no older than 12 and almost certainly a gelding. There are thousands that fit that criteria. I only ever enquire about ones that have caught my eye for some reason and I almost always but the first one I see. I find it all very exciting!

I find if you pay pennies for them then you have no expectations and when little things crop up, as they always do, its fine. You expect them with a project.

Out of interest, why only geldings? Tbh we have pretty similar criteria except I couldn't care less about age - the ones I considered varied in age from 4 months to 32 years. :eek:

JFTDWS

Visit site
I go looking with the attitude of "I'll know it when I see it". I had a loose criteria - young - ideally 4ish, cheap, 15hh ish, fairly agile type with a nice attitude and preferably a gelding. This time around, I contacted two sellers, saw the second and bought her (and she fits most of the criteria... except the "she" part!). I knew when I saw the ad - despite a rubbish photo - she was the most likely candidate, and I didn't really bother looking in the few weeks before I could view her (long story!).

I really liked her when I viewed her. On paper she's practically perfect. She's been very good since I've had her over the last few months. But I barely slept between buying her and having had her for a few weeks. I was very worried my judgement was off, and she wasn't what I needed. I don't buy any animal lightly, and I don't like selling them either.

rara007

Visit site
But I never try and find 'the one'. I have a very wide spec, buy the first one I see that meets the spec, and after assessing it at home for a while, I will sell it if it isn't what I want.

This! If I view its 95% certain I’ll buy, if they last more than their 18 month trial then theyre here for life. If for whatever reason we’re not matched or plans have changed (in general due to that lack of a match..) then they move on. I don’t consider them projects and always sell with home at the forefront, if I make money great, if I lose, that’s the risk taken. I can’t remeber any I’ve not stayed in contact with! I don’t vet, only buy boys, know what I like and tbh enjoy working with almost anything with 4 legs!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I have my last horse now. She's 12, I won't be buying anymore, always found it very stressful and didn't really enjoy the experience whenever I've viewed horses in the past. Yes of course I'm over the moon with the horses we've got but there was always that 'what if they are loonies....' in the back of my mind!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think if you’re like me, can really only afford one horse, have to keep it in relatively expensive livery, get easily emotionally attached and want a long term partner then it’s a difficult experience.

If you’re more emotionally detached and business like, have your own land and can risk a failure without it seeming like the end of the world and perhaps can afford to lose a reasonably substantial amount of money then it’s probably not more stressful than buying a pair of shoes.

My boy is 23 this year and I will have had him 13 years so in the back of my mind I’m considering whether another horse would be on the cards. Apart from the financial drain, I’m not sure I can deal with the emotional trauma it always seems to come with.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Out of interest, why only geldings? Tbh we have pretty similar criteria except I couldn't care less about age - the ones I considered varied in age from 4 months to 32 years. :eek:

I just prefer them. I wouldn't not buy a mare if I really liked her, but I prefer the consistency of geldings. I wouldn't have an entire as its impossible to provide them with the right standard of living on a livery yard, but if I had my own place that's what I would have. I love my current one as he was entire until he was 10 so he has that spark to him that you can never quite define.

The age thing is pretty definite. I've done my time with youngsters and OAPs. Now I just want to crack on with it a bit. I will probably get another 4yr old as my current one starts to slow down in a few years.

scats

Visit site
I think if you’re like me, can really only afford one horse, have to keep it in relatively expensive livery, get easily emotionally attached and want a long term partner then it’s a difficult experience.

If you’re more emotionally detached and business like, have your own land and can risk a failure without it seeming like the end of the world and perhaps can afford to lose a reasonably substantial amount of money then it’s probably not more stressful than buying a pair of shoes.

My boy is 23 this year and I will have had him 13 years so in the back of my mind I’m considering whether another horse would be on the cards. Apart from the financial drain, I’m not sure I can deal with the emotional trauma it always seems to come with.

I also get very attached to them and I buy them as partners for life so I also find it quite difficult. I don't actively go out and buy very often and generally I'm looking for projects so I pick them up for a few hundred when they are young.

I moved one on last year as we just didn't click under saddle and my heart wasn't in it as my circumstances changed, it was totally for the best but I found it a difficult thing to do. In 25 years I have sold 2 ponies.

I was horse hunting last summer and saw 8 who either weren't as described or I just didn't get the right feel for. I had a vague idea of what I wanted - 15 to 16hh, no older then 10. Polly was number nine and I stumbled upon her by chance when I went to a dealer, but couldn't get her out of my head. I viewed her again but wasn't sure as I sort of wanted something a bit more established and she needed some rehab work. She was the only horse out of all I'd seen who 'got in my head' so to speak. I couldn't think of anything other than her and that told me something. Needless to say she came home with me. It feels like she was meant to end up with me, I can't really describe it.

I do prefer mares, although I've had plenty of geldings. I didn't rule geldings out in my last search, but I do have to be careful about who I get as they must be sensible in the field with the Diva due to her breathing problems.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I bought a new horse 2 months ago, the day of the vetting I felt physically sick as I had been looking for a long time and this was the first horse I had even enjoyed riding when trialled. The first two weeks I was unfortunately away during the weekdays and had several sleepless nights regretting my choice despite the horse doing nothing wrong. So I completely sympathise that buying a horse can feel horrible!

Now I am loving everyday with him more and more and no longer worry quite so much. Personally it was financial worry for me, I have always struggled to spend and regret purchases on expensive things I need (I.e a bed at one point!) so the logical side of me was very concerned about the money I had plunged into this horse. Insuring him up to his eyeballs made me feel better though :p

This is me to a an absolute T!! I get so worried about the financial commitment and the horse breaking or me not getting on with it whilst getting to know it. I should be looking for something else for me at the moment but just don't want the feelings of doom looming over me if I do find one and buy it and something goes wrong!!!