Show cob criteria - can i see your show cobs?!

lucky7

Visit site
What is the criteria for a show cob? ie height, bone etc........am hoping my cob will fill out to around 15.2hh next year, would she be considered too small for a cob class? she has around 8 and half inches of bone and is coloured - more of a LW type, she has the cobby bottom but a slightly prettier head than most cobs (am not saying that cobs are ugly by no means - i just mean no roman nose) she is fully hogged out and has a nice shaped arched neck.

What are the judges looking for?

There are a few big agriculture shows that happen around here and quite a few qualifying shows at local shows.
Planning to get her out and about next year and see how we get on :)

Would love to see some pictures of show cobs for ideas :)

**Vanner**

Visit site
Yep you want to hope she makes 15.1 Nam or else you are playing with the really big Boys!

At 8.5 inches she would be a lightweight. My boy in Sig is a heavy at 10.5" bone.

What colour is yours and is she trimmed and hogged? she'll need to be.

I think we need pics :)

**Vanner**

Visit site
Just reread your post that she is coloured and trimmed ~ doh!

Main thing she needs to be anyone's ride. They are looking for forward going responsive horses capable of carrying a farmer around a farm all day but easily mounted from the ground ~ although they don't mount from the ground! but smart enough to take hunting.

lucky7

Visit site
Main thing she needs to be anyone's ride. They are looking for forward going responsive horses capable of carrying a farmer around a farm all day but easily mounted from the ground ~ although they don't mount from the ground! but smart enough to take hunting.

Sounds like my cob :) roll on spring 2012! :D

Kola Bear

Visit site

jnb

Visit site
Here is my LW show cob - they need to be able to do this

[Content removed]

with you, and with a judge!

8.5" bone is measured just below the knee and is the circumference of the leg

Last edited by a moderator:

Harley Cob

New User
Visit site
Hi All!
I am new to all this so hoping I post this ok! I have a cob I use mainly for riding club intermediate level eventing and hacking etc. I was thinking of perhaps showing him this year. We did one riding club showing class last year and he came 1st. Picture attached. He has since put on weight. We are in Ireland so i don't think the standard is as high as in England - not sure?!! Any comments - good or bad welcome!:)
photo.php

Megalini_22

Visit site
Looks lovely, and good luck when you take her out.

Hope you dont mind me saying, but in your first pics - your saddle looks like its sitting over on top of her shoulder though... probably impinging on her shoulder movement - I'd get a saddler to take a look at that and make sure she is comfy...

Good luck!