SHOW COB OWNERS

Shavings

Visit site
Ok so as many of you know i brought chance in august, then broke my elbow in September
finally have our saddle fitting tomorrow (Saturday) so all excited
in the time i have been off i have been thinking of things we can do
i would like ot take chance out to some shows
we live on the isle of man so thee aint really any thing other then local show level
but we will be travelling to England to do bigger and higher level shows possibly summer 2020!
he is chaps regs so may even be brave and enter one of there events

any way i have never show a cob, levi was a TB who riding type and before that i used to show a friends welsh in hand

so i haven't really a clue what the turn out or is expected or a show cob?

any one want to help me?

photo below to give you all an idea what he looks like and if you think he should go in the show cob class?? if not what class??

Attachments

• 37314816_277913009636295_3641555358410866688_n.jpg
    37314816_277913009636295_3641555358410866688_n.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 107

Fiona

Visit site
Cob turnout is the same as for hunters.....

Plain bridle, flat noseband, 2 reins for open (double bridle or Pelham), snaffle for novice class
Straight or GP saddle with discrete brown numnah
Brown girth

Tweed jacket, shirt and tie
Velvet hat
Cream breeches (pony riders wear canary, not sure if this is correct for horse classes or not

Hope this helps.

Fiona

blitznbobs

Visit site
Cob turnout is the same as for hunters.....

Plain bridle, flat noseband, 2 reins for open (double bridle or Pelham), snaffle for novice class
Straight or GP saddle with discrete brown numnah
Brown girth

Tweed jacket, shirt and tie
Velvet hat
Cream breeches (pony riders wear canary, not sure if this is correct for horse classes or not

Hope this helps.

Fiona
I’ve showed cobs up to hoys - it is common at higher levels to have quite very wide flat nose bands and I showed in a proper suade show saddle but any straight cut saddle would do...
Make sure you can gallop!

Shirt and tie, tweed jacket, cream /tan (not canary or white ) breeches, long boots and dark gloves. Double bridle generally but snaffle for novice classes - also need a height cert for proper cob classes ..

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's all big, wide, flat nosebands for cobs - proper, chunky, workmanlike bridles for show cobs. Straight cut saddle. Everything trimmed, shaved and hogged. Can't remember how big he is, but that will definitely be relevant as it's only show cobs to 15,3ish and maxis over that.

Visit site
You also need to make sure he is well schooled to be anyones ride as the judges ride in these classes. Light, forward but listening and looking up through the bridle. And a good, proper gallop will stand you in good stead!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He had a nice head on him, photo's can be misleading and the more I look at your picture the more confused I am getting. His wither looks far higher than his quarters and he doesn't look in proportion. For top level I fear he lacks bone and his hind end doesn't match his front end. BUT, local and countryside type shows he will be fine and give you loads of fun. Turn him out as a hunter, don't cover his shoulder up. School him, he must ride light, forward and mannerly.

15.1 is height limit for weights but they certainly look bigger than that in the ring. Over 15.1 is a maxi, and a class that really has taken off big time. Good luck and have fun.

Shavings

Visit site
Ok so he isn’t a show cob he is about 16hh!

I know the picture of him isn’t great he looks like a cut and shunt it’s just the only one I had of him where there isn’t a rug on him or a stable door in the way ha ha!

Thank you every one for the advice I will let you know how we get on in the summer with local shows

Also he doesn’t have a height certificate is it a vet who does one?

be positive

Visit site
Do you have any tips on how to do them? And how to make them notice able on white fur
Also you said possibly putting him in hunter class further up does that mean he needs a mane and I need to stop hogging him? :)

I think AA said turn him out as a hunter, not show him as one, but I think I would grow back his mane and show him as a hunter in coloured classes, he is really too light for the maxi cob classes at a decent level but may appeal to judges as a coloured hunter, depending on how he moves and if he gives them a really good ride.
I wouldn't be too concerned about quarter marks as if they don't show well on his colouring it can just end up looking as if they have not been brushed properly.

tristar

Visit site
oh great was about to ask for our warrior the rescued pony, about size and classifications he might fall into later, good idea show cob or coloured, although he does not have a roman nose type head? a cobish head, very large quarters, and does not look top heavy overall, .following thread closely

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That is a better photo. I advise showing him in coloured classes, turned out as a hunter. If he jumps you could show him in WH, although many judges are unimpressed by coloured horses.

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
Can I ask where your lovely boy came from? The reason I ask is that the transporter that picked my friends mare up was dropping a lovely coloured cob off en route to the Isle of Man - he was unloaded to get the mare on and we very much wanted to steal him. Wondered if it was your boy!

Shavings

Visit site
Can I ask where your lovely boy came from? The reason I ask is that the transporter that picked my friends mare up was dropping a lovely coloured cob off en route to the Isle of Man - he was unloaded to get the mare on and we very much wanted to steal him. Wondered if it was your boy!
He came
From stoke-on-Trent way, he was sharing a load on his way up to hayshem (he stayed the night there before getting on ferry) I don’t know who he shared the load with, but it was Eric Gillies who did the Uk transport for me, a friend did the ferry leg as he shared the trailer with her horse. he travel August 2018 :)