Show Hunter Classes

telerimist

Visit site
I have done lots of research in correct turnout for a middle weight show hunter but I am very confused.

I have an 12yo 16.3hh warmblood mare with about 9" of bone. She's dapple/flea bitten grey with good manners and great paces and is suited to the class, but concerning turnout I am confused.

I want to start off at unaff levels but slowly work up to affiliated. I have read that 'all' horses need to be in brown tack and riders tweed jacket and tie to match. Yet she's grey and all my tack is black as brown looks wrong on her and so which colours would suit her best? Also that riders must be in tall boots, whereas due to knee injury (temperamental swelling knee) I can never get tall boots to fit but have really smart brogini short boots and chaps.

Can anyone offer advice? Tips? Previous Experiences?

bliss87

Visit site
I think black tack is more likely to be accepted on a grey but Iv eonly ever shown in brown

Yes a tweed jacket and tie for yourself and you should really be in long boots but I shouldnt see a problem with short boots and gaiters, my sister had one judge tell her off for it and one not care. Ive shown WH in short boots and gaiters and never had a comment passed.

be positive

Visit site
At local level use your black tack if that is what you have but brown is correct and traditional it looks good on all horses whatever their colour, as long as it is dark brown not tan:)

For the rider tweed is a must, tie of any colour it can be bright or patterned and does not need to match the jacket just be complementary.
Your boots should be acceptable, they will look like long boots from a distance.
Brown gloves, navy velvet hat, cream jods/ breeches, neat hair, don't forget a cane and spurs should be worn.