Show jump warm up fences

Madali

Visit site
Why is it that people feel they have to jump the most gigantic warm up fences and then go in and knock them down in a class 20cm smaller than they have practised at.
It makes me feel completely inadequate.
Although I am feeling slightly smug today. Having watched all these cool riders jumping nearly the top of the wings whilst I popped over a couple of cross poles.
I beat them all to win my first Discovery class.
so pleased and chuffed.

TarrSteps

Visit site
So what's the problem? ;) You proved your point. :) Congratulations!

I can guarantee they aren't doing it to make you feel inadequate. If they are interfering with your warm up by jumping illegally high in the warm up then try to have a word with the management as that's an issue to be dealt with officially.

Madali

Visit site
I know they aren't doing it to upset me, they certainly don't interfere with me. Apart from when they leave them cranked up and they and their entourage ****** off and leave me to put them back down
I just don't get it. Oh well maybe that's why I'm an amateur and they aren't

Fides

Visit site
l go in classes suited to my ability and it's quite embarrassing when they have it about 2Ocm higher than the class and l am bricking it and have to ask them to drop it...

pipsqueek

Visit site
Have got to agree with you there Madali, people often warm up over far bigger fences than the actual class, even more annoying their entourage put it up a hole each time as soon as their rider has jumped, ignoring everyone else who needs to jump and you have to shout 'can you leave it please' before they do! I normally warm up over a few fences before the first class I enter (normally 95) then before discovery I might just pop her over one or two fences as she's already jumped (we do normally get placed though & actually won our first discovery a couple of weeks back) I am a one-horse amateur and often have to hop on and off to adjust the practice fence myself! Don't see the need for jumping far bigger than the class in the warm-up, it doesn't do us any harm :)

glamourpuss

Visit site
If someone whacks the fences up high I let them jump it a few times & then I ask if it could be put back down (please). I've yet to have anything but a polite 'yes, if course'

Mike007

Visit site
As an almost profesional warm up fence putter upper, I really do see some nonsense. When at an event,and having put up fences for"A" to warm up,I seem to wind up putting them up for everyone,but I like it , it makes me feel usefull. There are some total stress bunnies out there!For me ,the ultimate warm up expert is Mark Todd.Nothing is ever rushed or hurried, he does no more than is necessary and has the confidence not to overdo things. I love watching him jump.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Well done on the Disco win!

Well, to answer your "why" question - others may have other reasons, but I jump pretty big in the warm up because I need to in order to feel confident! It reassures me that I can do the class height (because I've just jumped bigger than the class height) and it makes the fences in the ring look smaller. So I suppose, I would be the one who feels inadequate, and that's why I need to jump big, to try to combat my feelings of inadequacy!

Do what works for you, I think - sounds like you've got a good warm up routine and you get the results.

montanna

Visit site
If someone whacks the fences up high I let them jump it a few times & then I ask if it could be put back down (please). I've yet to have anything but a polite 'yes, if course'

Lol take it you don't compete in Essex or the surrounding areas then!

georgiegirl

Visit site
I hardly EVER warm up over the height they are in the ring in fear I cock something up majorly and end up having a confidence crisis before I go in :p

Walrus

Visit site
I don't show jump but I do working hunter and as someone who often goes with no warm up fence putter upper I often have to just go with what is available so I hate it when they go up early on and you find yourself warming up with no cross pole to start ( which I prefer -more for me than the horse!). My favourite experience was when a mother moved the warm up fences to put up a double for her child to practice over, I'm pretty sure that's not allowed but as it was unaffiliated and a bit clicky not one really said anything.

kassieg

Visit site
I used to hate this at bsja
I would be doing the disco & they would have a 1.20 oxer up its like yes I can jump that too but whats the need ! I only used to do 5 fences on my mare before going in & usually used to jump under height as she has a bad habit of knocking the smallest fence !

This is what I like about BE they have practice fence max heights !

P.s major congrats on your win :D

Madali

Visit site
I'm glad most of you feel the same as me. Hot to trot I am amazed that you need confidence your posts are always so positive and brave.
I will bear this in mind when I see them whizzing over giant fences.
I am going to save myself for the disco second rounds and putmy brave pants on as I understand it will be big

shadowboy

Visit site
I like the warm up fences to EVENTUALLY be bigger than class height. I start smaller, jump that once on each rein then go to class height then put it as an oxer class height then slightly bigger but without the back bars do that on each rein and that's me done- it helps me gauge how the horse is jumping and helps to encourage him to use himself more when there is a bit of space and I haven't got the technicality of the jumps in the ring. But each of us has a different method that works for them :)

joosie

Visit site
On the one hand I agree it is very annoying. On the other, IMO you should be training over bigger jumps at home than the height you compete, in which case having a warmup jump that's bigger than the class height shouldn't phase you that much. Though as a nervous competitor myself I do know that it's not always that simple!

I work for a pro rider and doing the warmup jumps is a pleasant experience. All us grooms know what we're doing, all the riders know what they're doing, we chat and joke with each other and share each other's practise jumps and it's all very sociable and civilised!

Jnhuk

Visit site
I hate SJ warmups. Some people are just plain rude and ignorant. Maybe BS folks just get on with it but as an amateur who hates SJ at the best of times, it doesn't exactly encourage me back.

Much prefer BE showjump warm-ups plus the people seems to show a lot more consideration and friendlier.

MandyMoo

Visit site
I hardly EVER warm up over the height they are in the ring in fear I cock something up majorly and end up having a confidence crisis before I go in :p

hahaha same :p

Same here! I do think its rather silly to jump massive fences (i.e. 1m20 warm up fence for a british novice) as its just a bit unnecessary - but I just leave people to it and do my own thing. I usually only jump maybe 5cm bigger than the class i've entered, although a lot of the time I just warm up over the same height!

Well done on the win OP !! :)