Showjumping Show Jumping Comp report

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Two days of jumping means I have a lot to say so thought I’d do a full write up. It’s been a hot minute since I’ve done one and I’m napped trapped so have nothing better I can do!

Saturday I had both horses entered into the 80 and 90 classes. Coolie was up first and he was fresh. I had plenty of time so I took him for a long walk up the side of the Xc course and back and he was convinced he was going to get to gallop on the Xc.
43111209-FB9E-4D41-B542-69E1E7BCE3C1.jpeg

He kept the spark in he warm up and then went into the ring and put in a nice easy clear round. We then jumped off which is his really strong point he can do some handy turns and jumps clean out of a gallop. Benefits of an ex event horse! He was fast but just tapped a pole in the double for 4 faults.

Henry was next and he was WILD. We are still working on taking both horses out together and Henry keeping himself together. He can do it and is getting better all the time but it makes him a bit feral. Our warm up consisted of cantering everywhere and me convincing him he can in fact bend and turn right. It’s very tiring when he’s like that!
E8754A79-5386-43C9-84D4-36A5DC66E70C.jpeg
He went in and jumped clear, again a really good round. He was lovely and forward and that’s really good for him! His jump off wasn’t as fast, I want him to be confident rather than fast but we still took inside turns. He also had a rail in the double.

Onto the 90, after a big break Coolie was up first again. Waking the course the jumps are finically starting to not look imposing again that height. Warming up I was feeling tired! Really knackered. I’m not as fit as I used to be and having 2 horses and a baby makes for a busy day! However Coolie was still feeling fresh and I made sure he was in front of my leg before we went in.

He jumped the best round at the height I have ever had. It was text book. It flowed, we were on the same page about everything and working totally as a team. It was brilliant.
B625289B-E1E7-44E1-B5A7-F66F5EE520F2.jpeg
Through to the jump off, we were ready to fly. We jumped, we turned on a dime, e we’re clear and coming to the last, a long line. “Go go go buddy!!” Off we gallop and FLY over to be clear. I sounded like I had just won gold at the Olympics but I was just so proud! 9AC251FF-C8D0-41A5-B267-695EF7F4AD1D.jpeg

we ended up second, in a huge class. I scratched Henry because I need to feel 100% to give him a good ride and confidence and he had 2 rounds on Sunday when we were both fresh.

Today was a much shorter day, and easier with just one horse to ride! We had a round at 75 first and Henry was a lot more relaxed. When he’s relaxed I need to really get him forward to in front of my leg. I had a plan and did exactly that in the warm up and thought I had in the ring as well. Except I didn’t and the whole round felt like I wasn’t secure in the saddle which is a huge hint he’s behind the leg. We had 2 rails down, because he was behind the leg. I was feeling frustrated with myself because I know what I need to do and can’t quite overcome it every time. But it’s improving and 75 is really a bit small for both of us, which doesn’t help!

we had a nice break before the 90 so I did some mum things, had a snack and then walked my course. All weekend my goal was to walk the course, have a plan and stick to it. Which I did! The things I need to remember are to look up and keep my leg on. If I do that everything else happens as it should!
4F36C68B-F9C3-4AE6-976D-FC8043C88941.jpeg
anyway, I had a plan, the height didn’t make me feel sick and we warmed up and stuck to the plan! He was forward, listening and happy.

In we went and I had him forward. We had a rail at 2 we got deep in a tight related line, and another rail in the double when I didn’t recover fast enough from the previous jump to close my leg earlier. But we jumped when he could easily have stopped, I felt him asking if he could do it and I was there leg in to say yes! We were really deep but I stayed out of his way and recovered to finish the course.
27134019-150B-46E6-A962-62F579C0A84D.jpeg
2 rails might not sound like the best day but I am so proud! He was confident and forward and I stayed with him and rode him how I had planned. We can fix rails, but to have a round where the height wasn’t an issue, I stayed present and rode well!
4581B1D5-1A60-44CC-AD60-CE04F853257A.jpeg
so all in all a great weekend! I’m so proud of my horses and the baby, he was such a happy little dude, hanging out with his dad and constantly being excited to see the horses!
B581182A-1D08-414A-A9FA-B66EF9CD3405.jpeg

Attachments

• B68ABB7C-8A1B-4730-B20B-450D1BCD5441.jpeg
    B68ABB7C-8A1B-4730-B20B-450D1BCD5441.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 3

stangs

Visit site
Sounds like a good weekend out for all of you.

When he’s relaxed I need to really get him forward to in front of my leg. I had a plan and did exactly that in the warm up and thought I had in the ring as well.
What was your plan for the warm up, if you don’t mind me asking?

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Sounds like a good weekend out for all of you.

What was your plan for the warm up, if you don’t mind me asking?
We need to do walk to canters to get him off my leg, leg yields to get him straight, transitions within the pace, then when we jump we jump a x pole a few times from a collected canter, then move him up and jump an upright making sure we keep the impulsion. Then the oxer a couple of times and if we get a good take off we are done and keep him moving until we go it.