Show me your storage solutions!

Custard Cream

Visit site
I need some ideas for storage at the yard. Currently we have a cool shed type thing, but we're moving to a diff part of the yard and it can't be dismantled. I need one type of trunk for rugs, bandages, polypads, first aid kit etc etc. and I need another for saddle and bridles which needs to be lockable. Both need to fit outside a stables length. So show me what you've got!

sandi_84

Visit site
My sister has a taller skinnier version of this:
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garde...orage-workshops/B-and-Q-Garden-Store-10226448
for most of her stuff, it cost her £60 though but it fits everything except saddle and rugs. She sweet talked the sales assistant into giving her an extra shelf for it because the one it came with wasn't enough.
But if you are willing to splash the cash for things like this they are well worth it, loads of space, weatherproof and lockable - although they wouldn't put off determined thieves, but then again what does these days?

jeeve

Visit site
A friend stores all her rugs sorted by size, type of rug and horse in those big plastic tubs (15-20 litre rectangle with lids) that you get everywhere these days for about $10-15 a tub. She washes her rugs before she stores them and it keeps them clean and free from rats and mice/dust. If she needs a rug, she can locate by size which is useful as she has 6-7 horses. I think it is an excellent idea but have not got around to doing it myself.

Most my rugs need repair, so have washed them and next step repair shop.

Sunshine

Visit site
We have two 6'x4' steel filing type cabinets with double doors on the front. One has all the shelves for rugs and numnahs etc, the other has a single bar type saddle rack bolted through the side. They are completely rodent proof and can be locked and double secured with a hasp and staple/padlock if needed.
There is a reclamation salvage yard near us and they cost just £15 each. Try looking on ebay or office salvage companies local to you.

Custard Cream

Visit site
Thanks for your replies folks. Having spent the evening looking around the net I've come to the conclusion ha purpose built storage cabinets are extortionate! I can't go with anything too high as it has to sit in front of my stable where I will tie my horse up, so. Am looking at the lower cupboards around the 1m-1.30 height. The trouble is most of them aren't deep enough to fit a saddle ack and saddle in comfortable.

nadinek82

Visit site
I've got the keter blanket box and the bigger keter box aswell. Homebase and b&q sell them. They're both lockable, made out of plastic but designed to be kept outside so are sturdy and waterproof. The bigger one is around £100 but plenty of people sell them second hand