Show Report & Showing Query - What to Buy Clothes Wise?

JAK

Visit site
Dammit.......MD has decided, after her two tentative attempts at 'showing', that she loves it! Even more amazingly, Cob Blob loves it too!
shocked.gif

They have been to precisely two local shows now & the pair of them have thoroughly enjoyed themselves!
Today, they came 5th (out of 11) in Family Pony/Horse, 4th in Ridden Coloured (they even had a 'ride judge'! Eek! LOL) & 2nd in Cobs & Woollies!
laugh.gif

OK, hardly world-beating stuff I know & they're still just trotting & cantering in a basic circle to keep it simple (& the stress levels down!) but are practising over winter for next year!
Trot diagonals & canter leads are all present & correct etc., so want to perfect their 'figures of eight' for next season!

MD wants to look a little more 'correct' now! LOL
She has been wearing a white shirt, navy jacket, black tie with tiny white dots, hairnet, skull cap with blue velvet hat cover, black gloves & naughty long riding boots!
Apart from buying jodphur boots, what else could she improve upon?

Cob Blob (for anyone who hasn't 'met' him! LOL) is piebald & his tack is black (plain Jefferies flat, broad, cavesson bridle with rubber grip lined reins & a french-link baucher)!
They have no 'illusions of grandeur' & aren't exactly brilliant, bless 'em but would just like to look a little smarter & a bit more 'with it'! LOL

jj_87

Visit site
If your wanting to improve a bit You could do with a tweed jacket green tweeds seam to be the in thing and look lovely erm brown gloves are more correct than black. Also for a bit more poshness perhaps a corn coloured shirt? When i fist sarted going to shows mum used to buy me "correct" bits and bobs for crimbo ect and i loved it. Tell her to keep up the good results they're great
smile.gif

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Safest showing kit to buy would be
Greeny tweed jacket
Blue velvet hat with flesh coloured harness
Dye the white shirt by washing it with the cheap tescos yellow dusters
Any tie colour other than black! Burgundy is nice with a green tweed
Never black gloves (funerals only) should be brown ideally
Brown jod boots or long back boots

None of the above are essential, but would be useful for years to come! Also using brown or black elastic rather than that tape stuff they give you for putting your number on (just tie a loop in each end and hook it over your jacket buttons).

First and easiest thing to change would be the tie and gloves.
Black tack is fine!
There are loads of second hand jackets etc on ebay and in tack shops - so no need to spend a fortune.

L

lilym

for local level i wouldn't worry about the tack, brown is more correct but for what they are doing black will be fine! bit is fine if that is what he goes well in, i show my fat cobby pony @ local in her snaffle, although we are practising at home in a double bridle as the look is more correct, a broad flat noseband is perfect for a cob.
for the rider a tweed jacket looks lovely either a green or a brown, these can be bought cheaply off e-bay, i would lose the white shirt as white is such a stark colour and go for something like a lemon, or pink is very popular this season! buy a tie to match.......i would go for brown leather gloves, and if your budget will stretch a nice navy show hat will really finish the picture!!
glad the pair of them are enjoying themselves, like me and my mare we are not world beaters but i enjoy showing her, and like to look the part!!

JAK

Visit site
OK, green tweed, bit of colour in shirt, brown gloves, thanks!
smile.gif

Presumably, jodphur boots should be brown as well then? Oh & her jodphurs are cream, is that OK? (Don't think she'd go for canary yellow or anything! LOL)

The above would cover her for both Coloured Classes & 'odds & s*ds' classes, would it?

mandy4727

Visit site
Sure you can get jodphurs called Corn or something. They are not quite as in your face as the canary ones. But there does seem to be different variations of the canary in colour. But when you see the whole set up although you would think it wouldn't go together it really does look the bees knees.

JAK

Visit site
Eek.......wicked black gloves & tie are outta here! LOL
Brill idea re. elastic for number! Thanks!
smile.gif

Are black boots ok with a tweed for juniors then? She really isn't a jodphur boots fan but is only 13! LOL

JAK

Visit site
Thanks lilym, yes, they've really enjoyed the two shows they've done so far & it's nice they have found something that CB seems to enjoy & can at least have a go at! LOL

Shouldn't be so dismissive of him really.......he has trotted & cantered when asked, picked up the correct canter lead on both reins, behaved for a ride judge, stood stock still whilst waiting in line & tried really hard at something he's never done before, which was all a helluva more more than many others managed! LOL

JAK

Visit site
Yes, it seems to be only the 'tinies' that wear bright yellow jodphurs! LOL

Will investigate a more muted version of 'canary' then!
grin.gif