Show Weight - ideas to make my horse look fatter....

Lorian

community.webshots.com
I went to a local show yesterday and was told that Lorian was too skinny.
Does anyone else think he is too skinny? This photo is from winter but he is still the same weight but he now has more muscle.

484950849SUPNbw_ph.jpg

I thought he was the perfect weight at the moment and dont understand why judges want show horses to be fat?
Does anyone know of any ways to make Lorian look fatter as I dont want to put weight on him to risk him getting laminitus just so that we do well showing.

airedale

Visit site
Photo doesn't work for me.

Was the show affiliated or local ?

When you looked at the other horses in the ring - were they generally fatter ?

Were all the placed horses fatter and the unplaced ones similar to yours ?

I hate the overfat/overweight show horse idea and hate the stress and strain it puts onto the animals.

fjudge

Visit site
I cant see the photo!
frown.gif

Generally, in showing, the judges like to see a bit more condition when they are in the ring and a good coverage. If one judge has said your horse is too skinny, another may disagree. Dont change your pony for one judge, keep doing what you enjoy and if you get more comments about his weight then you could consider changing him slightly. Maybe just upping his food (if he gets fed?) slightly. Im sure he wont get laminitus from a slight increase. There are always special food for ponys that are prone yo laminitus! We had a baby conny at home who was quite lean but prone to laminitus, we got him a great food that he could eat with out ud worrying!

Maybe his muscle condition may improve him looking plumper....lots of hillwork, etc will help to build those bum cheeks up!!!

Frankie x

rach1984horse

Visit site
Shows all depends on the hudge. My pony is too "thin" for M&M and Highland classes.

A couple of months ago I did a VHS class. I was told that it was "lovely to see a Highland in such good condition and at a sensible weight". I thanked the judge and told her I would rather my horse lived out all summer without worrying about her weight, than keep her shut in a stable for the sake of winning shows. I was put down to last place for having the wrong attitude to my showing...

You know your horse better than a judge that sees him for 20mins so go with what you feel is right.

spaniel

Visit site
Which class were you in for the judge to say he needed more weight????
shocked.gif

If he really is as nice as he looked when that photo was taken you definitely dont want to be fattening him up.

Maybe you just entered the incorrect class?

Sooty

Visit site
Oh ffs, he is fine! You know how arbitrary showing judging can be. As the farrier said this morning, there are two types of show horses - those with laminitis, and those who will get laminitis. Now I know he was being extreme, but he has to deal with the results of people taking advice from judges like the one you encountered. Lorian is gorgeous as he is!

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
Some show judges would be better off judging pie eating.

Especially hunter and cob judges.

Screw them - if you're that eager for glory then do, follow in the footsteps of the all famous proffesionals, and kill your horse with food.

At the end of the day, set yourself a goal and do it, and don't give a damn about the colour of the rossie you pick up.

Beanyowner

Visit site
Beany is too thin for his cob classes at the moment..I am starting to dispair of what to do with him as I do enjoy showing him but am not willing to make him hefferish for the county shows. I took him to Royal Bath & West and JM7 will agree with me...he looked like a whippet compared to all the rest. I am hoping that he will round off a little more and I am going to do lots of hill work as he has dropped off slightly around his backside so that should help make it a bit rounder!

There are some younger judges now more willing to see the horse not just the fatness so keep plugging at it. I can't see the photo but if you do not feel your pony needs more weight then don't do it!!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
lorian - Don't be disheartened, I was at ashow the other week and the girl next to me riding a very nice 26 y o Arab in good condition was told her horse was too thin for showing classes. I said to her it was a cheek as I wouldn't want a fat veteran as thats not fair on its joints.
What class did you enter? I have a arab x ID and we do part bred arab and hunter but often get marked down in hunter for being too 'light' but I'd rather him fit and light than fat and lame.
fjudge - i love your horse

peapod

Visit site
I can't see the photo - but definitely try a few more judges and see what they say - don't fatten up for the sake of showing.

My pony is, and has always been, on the lighter side for Natives (he is a Dales).

Didn't stop him winning at County when he was three though.

Lorian

community.webshots.com
I entered him in a local show and done the best conditioned and best veteran as hes 16 now. I think he is right at the moment and im going to another show on 27th so we will see what the judge thinks to him in that one. Im going to do the veteran and arab classes. All the other horses that were placed higher than me were quite a bit bigger and it was more their fat wobbiling as than ran round rather than muscle. I felt so sorry for them. I like my boy being thiner and toned than fat and sweaty. I just dont understand why judges like that more????
confused.gif

fjudge

Visit site
Thank you ria_and_murphey!!! Would you believe...its actually 2 different ones!!! 1st and 3rd pic is my old 15hander, the other 2 are of my new 15hander.

briardy

Visit site
i agree no judge should advise you to produce an over weight gross horse/ poy for the ring
mad.gif
but i ve always found feeding "Blue Chip"keeps my horses/youngstock nicely covered &toned safely as the rest of thier diet is forage based
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Your horse looks very well IMO, although if you're really serious about showing you could perhaps do some hillwork to build up his back end a bit (this has worked wonders on PF's pointy little bum!
smile.gif
). You're quite right not to want to fatten him up just for the sake of a few rosettes.

parsley

Visit site
He looks great to me. I think with showing you have to remember that it is in the judge's opinion - another judge might not have the same opinion, you just have to find out who does and doesn't like your horse.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Oh boy Sorry I Feel Really Strongly About This Sub!
Your horse is a lovely weight dont change it!
An Over weight animal will die up2 2x as quickly as an underweight one!
I think its total sh** that horses are fed up to be kind on the eye and dont even get me started on cobs!!
You want a nice filled out figer not a fat blobby one!!
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO FEEL ALL YOUR HORSES RIBS! or he/she is over weight and it can be life damaging and kill. Im sure any vet could agree.