Showing a coloured cob

4faults

Visit site
I bought a 3 year coloured cob as a 'project' at the end of last year, ostensibly to back and sell on. After a few people trying him out I decided to keep hold of him for awhile and get some experience under his belt. He's such a sweetheart that it's an absolute pleasure to have him around.

I would like to have a crack at some showing with him this year but having never done a day of showing in my life I wouldn't know where to begin. Any advice on what classes I could do with him and what kind of turnout I would need?

Thanks in advance
ec9578280a2ee151f7baac5083f70ec2_zpsnlrkmv0o.jpg

71dc42b9e415d98ada137e9fda45fe13_zpsdsyszll2.jpg

8fa29607f292c927bbf6337a52f76dee_zpswtwtnz1r.jpg

pootleperkin

Visit site
I'm not an expert on showing coloureds, just getting in to it this year with a show cob, but as you haven't had any replies, I'll try to help and I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I get it wrong!

The first Q is how big is he? If he is a horse (which he looks to be) then I think your only route will be horse (hunter) plaiteds, so you will need to trim feather etc. If you can squeeze him in at 15.1hh (155 cm), then you could hog and show him as a show cob (not quite sure he will be to type though - a bit long in the leg?), but I think he would be best suited as a native cob, so will need trimming a little - he doesn't have enough feather for a traditional. I'm not entirely sure if the natives have a height limit or not? Have a look at the CHAPs handbook for help - it's a pdf - see pages 7 & 8.

Whatever the class, the horse should be in a plain hunter bridle to suit his face, straightish cut saddle, and you should be in a tweed jacket and tie, velvet hat, beige breeches and black boots.

He's cute and looks to be going sweetly - I like his front, and hopefully as he develops with age his bum will round up and muscle. Have fun!

4faults

Visit site
Thank you pootle perkin :) he is 15.1 but currently turned away to fill out so he may well have gone up a bit. I will trim off the feathers in a few weeks and see how he looks. He doesn't have much feather anyway luckily. Thank you for the tack advice I will look into that.

Going to be an interesting experiment for me, last showing class I did was prettiest pony many moons ago!

only_me

Visit site
I can't really see how much bone he has but from the pics I wouldn't say he is a show cob type, sorry. He appears to be between types, traditional and show cobs. He doesn't have enough feather for trad and I don't think he has enough bone or "width/substance" to be show cob.
He looks quite a sporty type & moves nicely so depending on how he matures and amount of bone & being all trimmed and plaited he could potentially do local LW hunter or smalls and the coloured classes :) and if he jumps you can do workers!

He is a nice type but just don't think he is a show type :)

soulfull

Visit site
It's always a good idea to take a young horse showing!! It's fabulous education.
I presume you are looking at local shows in which case he will do just fine, very often it comes down to doing a nice show rather than how perfect he is for that class.
Local shows vary so just take a look at each schedule to see type ie traditional or cob (which is most likely. Hogged) and height.

HelenJ123

New User
Visit site
Hello. I have been looking a the photos you have posted. I was wondering if you still had this horse or if he has been sold on?. Thanks

mcnaughty

Visit site
If you are just sticking to local level then I'd pull, plait and trim everything and just show as a coloured in hand or ridden. He is def not a show cob. Does he jump? You could do workers.

jnb

Visit site
Looks to be a Native Coloured type (think Welsh D type but Coloured)
Show with feathers, mane slightly tidied but not obviously pulled, tail slightly shortened but au natural.
Not a show Cob - not deep bodied enough or enough bone but nice enough type asxa native (not enough hair for a traditional)