Showing a dales....

Milla

New User
Visit site
I have recently started loaning an overheight (at almost 5yrs old she's around 15.2hh) and overweight Dales pony (she is under an intensive diet and exercise regime!) although I have been riding her for almost a year now and am hoping to do a few local shows with her for the rest of this season as I will have got my exams out of the way.
I know she is to be unplaited and have long flowing tail and mane (which is as long as I can get it as she had it all cut off last year but it is now to the bottom of her neck) but I am unsure of whether she needs trimming up at all (beard, whickers, ears etc) or do I leave everything completely natural?
Please help, all advice is welcome :)
Thanks

MissSBird

Visit site
For Dales it is quite simply. Absoloutely 100% no trimming of any sort :)

And actually, technically she's not overheight. Dales have no upper height limit :)

trendybraincell

Visit site
Yes technically she's not over height, although it's preferred that they are 14-142.hh so under and over height Dales are placed at the judges discretion.

And like MissSBird said...nothing, no trimming. You're allowed to rough trim the bottom of the tail so that it doesn't drag on the floor but that is it!

StrawberryFish

Visit site
Yes all we did was slightly trim the tail so it didn't drag on the floor, but we did it in a 'feathered' way, not a straight across cut, we had a lot of fun with her over the years :)

Milla

New User
Visit site
thanks for all the help everyone :) we had a great day today although didnt get placed in our m&m class, but we lost out to some amazing ponies :) and so pleased with her for her first ever show :)