Showing Advice Needed!

Mibby

New User
Visit site
2j18jt3.jpg

I have got a 7 month old Dartmoor hill x Cob filly.
She is tri coloured.
I am hoping to get her into showing later this year but have never done in hand with youngsters before so i am needing a lot of advice on it!

As she is so young I have read that she doesnt need to be bitted?
Also I have been told to wear the opposite colour to the ponies legs, but she has 3 stockings and one black leg so I am not sure what colour to wear..

Any advice to do with what to wear, what classes to enter her in, whatshe should wear & look like would be great! Thanks.

OFG

Visit site
She looks lovely.

You are correct with the leg colour / trouser colour. As you will be leading her on the left the black leg will be nearest the judge so I would go for a lighter colour trouser.

Class wise, what about M&M part bred? or a better option would be coloured classes as traditionally dartmoor ponies are not supposed to be coloured, only Bay, Black, Brown, Chestnut, Grey and Roan

A good site you could check out is http://www.theshowring.co.uk/

It gives advice on horse turnout and rider.

If you were doing M&M then tweed jacket for you, gloves, in hand show cane (to match your glove colour), hat, sensible footwear (not trainers). Not 100% sure about coloured classes. Assume it would be as for the breed?

In-hand bridle with coupling and leather lead rein.

Turn out for pony would be 'natural' state but still make the effort to have a tidy pony, no trimming allowed.

Have fun :)

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
Most local shows will have a general youngstock class or coloured, she is not really a part M&M but you may be able to do them.
For all these classes she should be shown trimmed and plaited, even pb M&M .