Showing advice

dwi

Visit site
My YO thinks that I should start doing coloured classes next year but we definitely need to improve our ground manners first.

I know that it seems like a stupid question but how do you get your horse to stand for ages without them pulling your arm off trying to get to the lovely lush grass they are standing on?

She's a baggage to lead and is currently lead in a dually but obviously I couldn't do that in a class.

Any tips on exercises to do?

moodymare1987

Visit site
well to be honest, my mare never went to eat the grass when i have been at shows, i kept mine occupied though, was too busy trying to keep her awake lol as she gets bored and had a tendency to fall asleep. xx

sorona

Visit site
I am surprised that you have that behaviour in a dually, did you get the video with it on how to use it or have you been to any of the clinics?
Sounds like you need to practice, practice, practice loads at home before taking her to a show. Every time one of my youngsters walks forward when not asked, I put pressure on her chest and ask her to walk back from it to their original positons, immediately each time and praise them when they stand for any length of time. I also tie them up on the yard while I am making feeds up, poo picking, chatting, etc whilst keeping an eye on them so they learn to stand for long periods of time giving them no attention for pawing at ground. As for snatching grass, I feel that as soon as your horse has its head collar on, or at least its bridle, it shouldnt eat the grass at all so with the dually on, as soon as your horse nearly gets a mouthfull of grass, give her a sharp tug on the rope and repeat this each time, just as she is about to snatch a mouthful but be consitent and do not allow her to do it at any time that she is being lead, even if you dont really mind at the time as you will send her mixed messages. You should find that after a few attemts at trying to snatch the grass, you will notice that she stops herself and then you can praise her! It seems like it is a respect issue and you need to be a little firmer with her and be totally consitent.

dwi

Visit site
In hand, I'm not that bad a rider taht I can't stop her hear eating when I'm on top. Although not good enough yet to do ridden as her canter is shocking. very enthusiastic but not very neat.
grin.gif

I've taken her to look at a few shows because she is very highly strung and I wanted to start acclimatising her to the bustle but when I try standing her around just to look at things she instantly wants to eat. I know that alot of people do let their horses graze while waiting for classes but I don't think that establishes boundaries if I then want her to stand still and not eat when in the ring.

dwi

Visit site
I bought the dually from a monty roberts trainer who came out to work with her but she is a really remedial case.

When I first got her she would either plant or barge off, she had no idea about how to be lead. She will now walk in and out of the field without misbehaving but she constantly tries to snatch grass. She doesn't seem to care what I do with the dually. It stops her standing there with her head down munching but she'll still snatch a quick mouthful before moving on.

Anybody who wants to practice their inhand techniques on her feel free.

moodymare1987

Visit site
you will get there it just takes a lot of work, as i had my ups and downs with mine, but when my horse has bridle on for class she doesnt touch the grass at all, she knows, i dont hang about with them though, its a case of tack up and straight in the ring. and when done class straight back to wagon for drink etc, once i have finished at end of day or when she has headcollar on i do let her eat grass if i wander round the ground.

this worked for my mare but it is different for every horse. xx

tking

Visit site
my two year old fell was pretty bad at leading lessons at home,including me being dragged across field on my back. i had entered a big county show and was not going to go but then thought blow lets just go for the experience, perfect angel and we won our class. sometimes just biting the bullet and doing it is better than putting it off and worrying about it. good luck and enjoy it

Irishcobs

Visit site
My coloured boy won't stand still for anything especially in a show class, so I let him stand for a minute then turned a circle, he started to understand that he needed to stand and could last a bit longer. He would also pull my arms off so I would distract him with the end of my cane as he likes to play with it anyway, but I'm sure you could use food to distract her.

bellaboo

Visit site
My mare is really strong so show her in a double bridle then i don't get tanked off round the ring! You could try having some treats in your pocket so her attention is more on you than the grass under foot?

bellgave

Visit site
My LW cob (4 years old) is a saint at home, but you CAN NOT lead him around at a show, he is just off where ever he wants to go!!! He is fine to ride around etc, but untill I get on he is a pain in the A**E!! I was dreading doing a class and having to strip him and trot him up inhand, but bit the bullet and did it, and he was as good as gold!! He likes to eat grass too, but in the ring he isnt even tempted by the grass, too much going on and things to see I guess!!!