Showing and nose nets...

EllieBeast

Visit site
Hi guys, I have a lovely Appaloosa x tb mare who is very mannerly, has lovely paces and I’d like to have a go at a bit of showing with her.

However, she head shakes. A combination of hackup bespoke supplements and a nosenet control this completely. But without the net she is still slightly uncomfortable (think slight head twitch, not hard rock head banging!!).

Would wearing a nose net count against us in a major way? I’m really just planning on having a bit of fun at some local shows but don’t want to totally embarrass ourselves!

I’ll pop a picture up so you can assess which classes may be suitable (besides the obvious coloured classes of course). She also jumps so if we wouldn’t get laughed out of a workers class then we’d have a go at that too!

conniegirl

Visit site
Yes unfortunately a nose net will count against her.

Also be careful with coloured classes and check with the organiser before entering as the vast majority of coloured classes are for piebald and skewbalds only. Though a lot of local shows also hold an odd coloured class which would be perfect for her

At local level i think she would do quite well in a hunter and if she can do a nice flowing round of jumps then a working hunter.
Just bare in mind that it isnt showjumping and a big thing in working hunter is style around and over the jumps. No sharp turns, chopping and changing strides etc

ihatework

Visit site
Unfortunately yes it would count against.
A friend of mine has an event horse that headshakes, pollen related, and can’t use his nosenet in the dressage arena - we have had reasonable success with nostrilvet and Vaseline smeared inside nostrils, definitely minimises the twitching

EllieBeast

Visit site
Thanks guys, just a quick point- nosenets are definitely allowed in the dressage arena, they are bd legal. I use the le mieux ones and they are legal for be/bd/bs.

I will see how we get on using a bit of Vaseline etc, I’m really only looking for it to be a bit of fun but have to say I would be disappointed if we were placed behind badly behaved horses purely for wearing a net.

At the end of the day, her comfort is paramount so if it’s a no-go and we stick to other disciplines, or our favourite- a lovely ride out with friends :D then it’s certainly not the end of the world. Thanks for your help!

ihatework

Visit site
Thanks guys, just a quick point- nosenets are definitely allowed in the dressage arena, they are bd legal. I use the le mieux ones and they are legal for be/bd/bs.

I will see how we get on using a bit of Vaseline etc, I’m really only looking for it to be a bit of fun but have to say I would be disappointed if we were placed behind badly behaved horses purely for wearing a net.

At the end of the day, her comfort is paramount so if it’s a no-go and we stick to other disciplines, or our favourite- a lovely ride out with friends :D then it’s certainly not the end of the world. Thanks for your help!

They definitely aren’t allowed at FEI level

Templebar

Visit site
I would have a go showing, i cant see in a local small show that they would be that bothered. If you were stepping up to county level and anywhere there will be qualifiers then probably. I would have a go and maybe speak with the judge ask them after your class.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Thanks guys :) it’s definitely worth a try. Will probably try a few local indoor winter ones first!

And Thankyou for the compliments! I’ve had her since she was a yearling and she’s just such a good girl. I do appreciate that these spotties are very much an acquired taste though (she was bay when I bought her!!)

abbijay

Visit site
I’m really only looking for it to be a bit of fun but have to say I would be disappointed if we were placed behind badly behaved horses purely for wearing a net.

There will be days where you will be, particularly at local level, irrespective of whether you wear a nose net or not! Showing is hugely subjective and, on occasion, cliquey so don't be put off if one day you get placed lower than you feel was fair.
Go and have fun, enjoy the days it goes in your favour and on the days it doesn't just be glad to take the best horse home! She looks lovely and a real eye catching sort, many judges will love that, some won't!