Showing Bays

C&C

Visit site
I am looking to show my new boy in some ROR classes this year, he is bright bay with a big star and 1 white sock on the rear. What kind of tips would you give me for showing off a bay, especially his black points (ive never had these to deal with before).

I have been showing Chance, who is bright chestnut with 3 white socks and a small star, for years and ive only ever used baby oil over his eyes, muzzle, knees and hocks and white chalk on his socks and star. We have always done really well. Ive never been a lover of plastering them in pig oil although i have friends that do and i know some judges do not like alot of 'make up'.

Also, what kind of quarter markings would you use on him?

ThePony

Visit site
I don't use oil on our bay mare - we show through the summer and I can't imagine it to be very comfortable, not a fan of the made up look either!

She is obv groomed and hot clothed before setting off. Ears, heels and muzzle trimmed, not eyes though. Then a spritz of coat shine and a sheet on overnight. My best friends on the day are my goat hair brush and an old (clean!) tea towel. They get any tiny drops of dust off and give a smooth shiney finish. As a last finish I spray my cloth with coat shine and wipe over her, paying particular attention to her black legs - especially hocks, knees, heels and fetlocks. I put hoof oil on as the v final thing so you don't decide to last second wipe over a leg and get oil smudged, nightmare!

As for quarter marks, this is what I do (though this was taken at the end of the day, and the sharp edges had been rather dulled by tail swishing with the flys! I also forgot to put the final sweep either side of the tail too, opps!).
DSC05619.jpg

Lolo

Visit site
I am looking to show my new boy in some ROR classes this year, he is bright bay with a big star and 1 white sock on the rear. What kind of tips would you give me for showing off a bay, especially his black points (ive never had these to deal with before).

Also, what kind of quarter markings would you use on him?

Reggie is a bright bay, only he has no markings at all if you ignore his black points. He does RoR classes (and TARRA) on occasion.

For making him stand out, she just grooms him until he gleams and that's it. Doesn't add anything. She wears canary jods, and matches her tie to his browband. He goes in his jumping saddle.

He has his tail pulled and banged so it's dead straight and his mane is fought into tiny little plaits. I think simplicity is best. If they were going to get more into it and they get a dressage saddle she might use that but unlikely really.

247475_2075033842549_1446041645_32396369_5067281_n.jpg

249733_2075063403288_1446041645_32396440_7584858_n.jpg

(doing his best donkey impression, but shows his turnout!)

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I just bathe my bay TB the day before, then wrap up in the stable (snuggy hood, legs wrapped, two rugs, tail bandage and then groom, groom, groom the day of the show and washed her black legs at the show again to get any white wee marks off. I trim Hattie's wiskers, ears, legs, tail is banged (although this year i will be plaiting her tail), baby oil on the trimmed chestnuts and soles of hooves. Then a once over with the towel to a gleaming shine.

For my quarter marks, I got a "pin wheel" style stencil from Horse-A-Tack in Milton Keynes. Everyone comments on it and i find it suits her conformation better than he diamonds/squares or anything else i've done.

This was us at our last showing show in September...
cute_hatster1.jpg

ThePony

Visit site
ThePony, can you explain how you did your quartermarkers? Very nice by the way.

Thank you!

Start with immaculatly clean and shiny set of quarters! I spray a little water over her quarters (in refillable bottle from £ shop!) and then with a dense bristle body brush I brush all over to get the coat laying nicely.

Then for the top rectangles (I do 4) I use a nit comb and just pull it downwards. It doesn't matter if you do some a little too long as along the bottom of them I sweep along with the body brush so they all finish crisply in exactly the same place. If you want the little inside rectangle on them then just turn the nit comb sideways and comb a tiny bit across.

For the sharks teeth it took me a couple of goes, and if I think too much about it I can't get them right! You need to go more across the quarters than you think in order to get the teeth bit along the rear of the quarters. Each stroke should be one firm sweep to keep crisp edges. I just get the body brush and do a down/up/down/up/down/up/down run of sweeps. Don't worry if you hash it up - you can always set the coat right and do it again!

Last touch is a stroke straight down (or v slight curve away from the tail) down each side of the dock. If your horse won't have a fit, and you need them to last all day then a mist of hairspray helps. Don't brush out and put back in between classes as the edges become dulled and it doesn't look as smart.

I would practise a few times at home first to see what looks just right for your horse - when your class is being called in is rather a stressful time to give it a go for the first time!

Good luck!!