Showing classes

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I'm entering quite a big (for me) show this year with my new(ish) boy :)

But I haven't got a clue what is expected in each of the classes :confused:

I will get in contact with the organisers to aak them, but thought I'd get some ideas from here first.

So what should we (horse and me) do and wear for these classes.........

Hunter, ridden and in hand.

Sports horse, ridden and in hand.

What's the difference between the 2 types and what are the judges looking for?

Thank you :)

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
It's the Scottish Appaloosa breed show, it has qualifiers for The Royal London Show, although I'm not expecting to get that far, lol.

So it will be all spotted horses and ponies, we don't have enough mane or tail to plait, but I'm sure others will be in the same boat.

But what is expected / correct?

mturnbull

Visit site
Someone else on here will probably be more experienced in the hunter classes as i have only competed at local level. You should wear a double bridle or pelham for hunter classes with a plain flat bridle. You will also be expected to do an extended canter/gallop in your show but apart from that is run like any other showing class.

Is the sports horse classes qualifiers for blair atholl? If so handlers are expected to wear whites rather than the usual tweeds and the horses are trotted around a large triangle rather than the usual away and towards the judge.

Good luck and any appy shows I have been to with friends everyone has been very friendly and quite a relaxed atmosphere!

ElliePippa

Visit site
Don't plait the tail- try and pull and neaten and then bang cut it a few inches below hocks.
Trim heels, chin, ears and muzzle and try and get him as sparkly clean (green fairy liquid is fab for white bits) as possible.
You should wear- canary/beige/buff breeches, long black boots, brown/green tweed, cream/blue shirt, complementing tie (maybe bronze or green?), brown gloves, hair in a bun and net, blue/elephant grey velvet hat.

With your turnout be as smart and neat as possible- tie on number with black elastic rather than twine, ensure top button is done up and tie is well tied. Have a collar and tie pin for a professional look, and pop on a bit of lipstick and blusher ;)

Horsey should ideally be plaited, have PLAIN, FLAT hunter bridle on- ideally with a double, but pelham or snaffle will be fine. Discreet sheepskin or no numnah and plain stirrups.

Have your horse going forward, be well muscled and up to weight. Needs to have a good gallop and be balanced in all paces.

All of the above is for a hunter class, but not sure what rules apply for makeup/hoof polish/turnout for appy classes, but maybe put some vaseline around muzzle/eyes if not pink?

Have a fabulous time and good luck!
x

Visit site
This is a link to the gallery of photos from the spotty show a few years ago.

http://jimcrichton.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=87489

From what I have seen, and have spoken to friends with spotties - no one really knows how to turn their horses out for the show ring. Anything appears to go but I think it is more because they don't take their spotties out proper showing in proper hunter/riding horse classes and so never really see how such horses should be turned out.

Turn out for a Hunter & Sports Horse Ridden is - Tweed jacket, shirt, tie, breeches, long black boots, velvet covered hat - not black, brown gloves. Tack wise a Double Bridle or Pelham is most correct so you have 2 reins but snaffles are allowed, plain browbands and flat hunter nosebands.

In-hand Hunter - Same as ridden but preferably with trousers and smart, short boots/shoes. For the horse the same bridle as you ride him in is correct - again preferable with 2 reins.

Sports horse in-hand - The dreaded whites! White shirt, trousers and shoes! And a proper in-hand bridle is correct for the horse.

Hunter classes -the judge is looking for a well mannered horse that would withstand a days hunting and give a pleasant ride.

Sports horses - They are looking for athletes that can go on to compete in any sphere - jumping, eventing or dressage.