Showing - County versus Local Show differences

Marigold4

Visit site
So ... I have entered youngster for an inhand class at a county show. This will be my first county show although we have been reasonably successful at local show inhand classes. The class is Competition Pony youngstock (he is a buckskin German Riding Pony type). Looking for some tips on what will be different at a county show? Things like will there be a collecting ring? Will I need to check in with anyone if already entered? And any particular tips for competition pony inhand classes? Advice gratefully received!

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
Generally don’t need to report in but may need passport checked if they are doing that. Should be a collecting ring. Depending on show could be a lot on particularly if main ring attractions near by. Generally expect long walk from lorry park depending on which show. No help re your particular class sorry. Just double check rules re if need strapped hat.

windand rain

Visit site
Some county shows dont send numbers out so you may have to collect them but apart from that you need to be at the ringside before your class starts they wont wait and may stop you entering the ring if they have got the bulk of entries there on time. Collecting rings are usually close to the ring your classes are in and are usually in hand or ridden not mixed

meleeka

Visit site
In my experience county shows have much bigger classes and they tend to go on longer. Aside from the added noise added tents and flags it’s pretty similar.

Marigold4

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Useful stuff! I shall leave extra time for walk from lorry park and getting number. Class is at 8 am so setting off before 5!

Snowfilly

Visit site
Just a heads up, some county shows have really strict rules on when you can arrive. My local ones opens lorry parking between 6.00 and 7.00, and god help you if you're not in the queue!

Good luck, have a great time.

Leaping

Visit site
They tend to be stricter at a county show, so grooms won't be allowed in the ring unless correctly dressed (that isn't a concern if you are doing an in hand class), you won't be allowed to enter the ring once judging has commenced, and you might find the judging is done more efficiently (depending on how big the classes are) as the stewards will be attempting to keep to a strict timescale.

It tends to be a bigger atmosphere for the horses, with ringside banners, tradestands and other things going on. There will be designated horse walks, but you may also find driving horses/heavy horses/etc in the lorry park which quite a few aren't used to.

Is it the NF show you are going to? If it is then you are in the main arena but its split into 3 rings for the morning in hand classes - I think donkeys are in one of those rings, and you will all share the same collecting ring - which is a reasonable size but not massive. The stewards will call you forward for your class. There does tend to be a bit of a queue to get into the lorry park so allow time for that (and even more time if its been wet and they are having to tow in) they will send the number, lorry pass and tickets in advance (you will need to have tickets for everyone to get into the showground, or purchase on the gate) .

Enjoy and good luck.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Collecting rings can get very crowded, particularly if the showing ring is split. You may have to mingle with stallions, youngsters & mares & foals. Watch out too for random members of public with push chairs who seem oblivious the the fact it is a HORSE show!