Showing Gypsy Cobs under saddle - tack

Shizzle

Visit site
Just wondered if I could pick the brains of showing peeps? Sure this has been asked many times, sorry if so. For a 14hh Traditional Gypsy cob, what depth of noseband should he have? I have one bridle (he is a cob size) with a 2" noseband and another with a regular 1" one - what is best? Also should he be in a plain browband or can they wear plaited leather ones like a working hunter?

The one saddle I have found he goes best in (after many) happens to be a black working hunter with a semi deep seat and Serge panels - if he is a black piebald coloured, is this dreadful these days - or is black still frowned upon in the ring? Would love brown as I'm a traditionalist but he goes so well in it ?

Visit site
Wider noseband, either plain or plaited browband. Black is totally fine. No judge will mark you down for the colour of your tack unless you go in with a hot pink synthetic bridle and rainbow reins on!

rara007

Visit site
You’ll get away with black on a piebald easily. I’d imagine about 1.5inch would be perfect?! But if he’s got a larger head the 2 inch would suit. Either browband- the forelock will cover it anyway!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Even if it's a county show or HOYS qualifier black is fine according to the rules, and many on piebalds go for black. I've heard of one case where the first two places were so close that it came down to tack colour, otherwise it shouldn't be part of judging. Keep an eye out for a dark brown version? Often a very dark brown is the same colour as a black horse, black tack makes a horse look brown.

Shizzle

Visit site
Even if it's a county show or HOYS qualifier black is fine according to the rules, and many on piebalds go for black. I've heard of one case where the first two places were so close that it came down to tack colour, otherwise it shouldn't be part of judging. Keep an eye out for a dark brown version? Often a very dark brown is the same colour as a black horse, black tack makes a horse look brown.

I had also heard this in the past. To be honest I doubt we'll be showing at top level any time soon so I'll not worry too much - I would love my current saddle to be brown (anyone have a 16.5" Humphries and Swain Holistic WH/VSD in wide, I'm all ears ?) but he goes so well in it I'm not going to rock that boat ?

We'll avoid the hot pink Zilco bridle (I used to a red one on my endurance Arab, so it's not unheard of ?) and yes, the browband is irrelevant really, SOOO much hair to cover it!

Ratface

Visit site
Good luck! Your Traditional Gipsy Cob sounds lovely. I'm sure you'll have lots of enjoyment showing him. Let us know how it goes.