showing hats...

Oaksflight

Visit site
I've just bought that one in black, it arrives tomorrow so will post again then. If your hat size is 55cm (6 3/4) or below then it's cheaper than £39, think it's about £34 as it's child size so no VAT I do believe. I always thought I had a big head but apprently not!

SSM

Visit site
Bought mine from Derby House (Charles Owen) If it is for 'the big show' (!!!!???) chin straps are compulsory so beaglers will not be allowed.

Yes it does need to be navy!

SSM

Visit site
Bought mine from Derby House (Charles Owen) If it is for 'the big show' (!!!!???) chin straps are compulsory so beaglers will not be allowed.

Yes it does need to be navy!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
yes, it's for the 'big show'!!
that's why i was looking at the flesh coloured straps...i'm still not convinced it'll look brill with a brown tweed jacket and brown gloves and cane but hey-ho!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
isnt the one i posted just togs? or are they the same company?
I've looked at so many hats my mind's bobbled.
I'm on an (ahem) limited budget!

Parkranger

Visit site
oooo just splash out - it's worth it! Only a bit dearer than Charles owen anyways!

I actually saw some in Scats that didn't look too back.....

Farrieress

Visit site
I wear a charles Owen showjumper 2000 its a very flattering hat with flesh chin straps. I have it in navy and i have a brown/green tweed jacket and it looks great. I was at a show the other day and saw someone in a brown hat with brown tweed jacket and it looked awfull, didnt do the horse any justice at all x its tricky!
confused.gif

JaneyB

Visit site
Yes blue with tweed is correct. There are two charles owen show hats, the 2000 or the 2000 sq (square). Most people suit the 2000, however, if you are slightly short and slightly larger then the square would probably suit you best as it has a longer crown.

cobweb

Visit site
I'd recommend you try them all on first as the high crowns don't suit everyone. They look awful on me, in all the Charles Owen's do as they are so bulky. I have the Hickstead, which is a much slimmer fit. Designer Browbands do them. I also ride an M&M in a brown tweed and blue hat
wink.gif

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Try a yellowy/creamy shirt. If you put a cheap white shirt and a cheap tesco yellow duster onto a reasonably hot wash you will get a lovely colour and save about £20! Tie perhaps reddish or burgundy? What stripe do you have in your tweed. I have a nice yellow tie with rocking horses on it with my darker jacket and a burgundy one with blobs on with the lighter colour jacket.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Oh - just remembered. Black boots if they are long boots and brown ones if they are jod boots. Small breeds you have to wear jod boots even if you are an adult (dartmoor, exmoor etc)

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
oh I'm so confused!
So let me get this straight....
navy hat, brown tweed jacket (which has green stitching), cream shirt, burgundy tie and either brown short boots or black long boots?

spider

community.webshots.com
What a great idea! I've been wearing an old school shirt of my son's and the white is a bit grey so maybe I could give it the duster facelift! Tweed is quite a bright brown - sort of beech leaves in autumn is only way I can think to describe it but has a few green flecks so maybe a green tie. (I know jacket is fairly horrid but I thought it was great 30 years ago and can't afford new one yet) Perhaps can persuade OH that he needs a green tie.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
No, not at all! I just want someone who does these classes tro help! Do you do m&M classes? So far I have got...,brown jodh boots (YO says I have to wear Jodh boots as the pony is only 13.2hh), navy hat, dark brown tweed jacket brown gloves, brown cane, cream shirt, burgundy tie and canary jodhs!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
What breed is the pony? I believe it depends on the breed rather than the height as to whether you wear jod boots or long boots. Also, how old are you (if you don't want to be specific you can say over 18!!!)

spider

community.webshots.com
I got a section D and I've done one M&M (he behaved really badly, thought it was boring) I'd like to do more so am trying to collect the correct kit. This is an interesting post because I didn't know about navy hats or long /short boots. I've got long black boots but he's 14.2hh and I'm a long way over 18! My hat is black but (whispers) has a silver show jumper stripe down the front. I've an old hat which is black velvet but it's a bit loose so I went for the safer option. I can see I need to put navy hat on my Xmas list.
Your outfit sounds lovely. Good luck with the show.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Yes, i'm the wrong side of 25 so I'm rather confused about the boots! But, I shall stick with brown joddy boots as i will have brown gloves etc.
I don't think the sj 'silver stripe' hats would go down well! I would have stuck with a black velvet hat, but i need to replace mine anyway.
You can get navy hats for less than 30 quid on the robinsons website, so if that's what you're after then it's an affordable way of having one just for the odd occasion.
I have been reading the 'showing secrets' and 'showing natives' books, well worth a read!
If your sec.d finds showing classes boring they do M&M working hunters at alot of shows......

cobweb

Visit site
You should be in long boots on a NF, regardless of the height of the pony. Black hats are traditionally worn by men and Navy for ladies. When you're starting out though, safety should always be the first concern, so it won't matter if you're in a SJ hat or Joddy boots, but if you want to get it right, start saving
grin.gif

spider

community.webshots.com
Thanks for info re navy hats. Might even be able to do a detour to robinsons when on holiday. Didn't know they did working hunter just for M & Ms . Will have to look out for those.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
well, I've just ordered a navy hat (shop told me it was the last one in stock as they're selling out fast with the show season), and will be saving for long boots.