Showing help please! I couldn't be more confused!

Elsiecat

Visit site
http://www.theshowring.co.uk/welshcd.php

Height: Members are asked to take the following heights into consideration for animals registered in Section B and Section C:
Yearlings 12.3 hh.
2 Year Olds 13.0 hh.
3 Year Olds 13.1 hh.
4 year old & over to exceed 13.2hh

Our Welsh Section C is 12hh currently and is 4.
Can we not show him as a Section C?
So confused :confused:

zigzag

Visit site
Sec C should NOT exceed 13.2 not over it. You will be at a disadvantage in showing classes if he is too small, but you can still show him

Elsiecat

Visit site
Sec C should NOT exceed 13.2 not over it. You will be at a disadvantage in showing classes if he is too small, but you can still show him

Ok Thank you!
I was hoping this was the case but no matter how many times I read it I couldn't find the words to support what I thought! :eek:

Elsiecat

Visit site
and remember regardless of his height a section C is a large breed :)

Do you mean chunky?
He's rather very petite.
He needs feeding up and muscle though.

We didn't even think he was a section C (we thought section A!) but the breeder has confirmed it.
This is him -
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=609185

It turns out he's from good breeding so we're looking into showing but it's all so confusing!

Elsiecat

Visit site
I've just realized, I never measured him properly and off memory he's a little bigger than my 12.1hh pony. Perhaps he's taller than I think!

AMW

Visit site
the mountain & moorland classes are usually split into large & small breeds, the welsh section A & B are smalls and the Cs & Ds are large. So although a B has the same maximum height as a C the C is a large breed.

What is his breeding? He hasnt had the best starts to life which has probably stinted his normal expected height although you do get small Cs as they are quite often a result of sect A x sect D. The heights you quoted earlier are the maximum height at each age as if they were 13.2 as a yearling they would be over height at maturity.

whats the wording of the class on the schedule?

Elsiecat

Visit site
the mountain & moorland classes are usually split into large & small breeds, the welsh section A & B are smalls and the Cs & Ds are large. So although a B has the same maximum height as a C the C is a large breed.

What is his breeding? He hasnt had the best starts to life which has probably stinted his normal expected height although you do get small Cs as they are quite often a result of sect A x sect D. The heights you quoted earlier are the maximum height at each age as if they were 13.2 as a yearling they would be over height at maturity.

whats the wording of the class on the schedule?

We haven't entered anything yet! We're still in the process of cleaning him up!

I can't remember his passported name or the ones that the breeder pointed out on the phone who were the particularly good winners in his lines, however I do recall Baileys passported name begins with 'Betws'!

justabob

Visit site
If I remember you said he was by Castlemai Celt who was/is a stunning Sec C stallion, we used to show welsh C's in the early '90s and he was always in our class and hard to beat! I love your pony to bits, he has such a quality and typey head and I am sure with a summer and TLC he will do you proud. I do think he will always be rather fine though, some judges like that and some prefer the stockier stamp. If I had the first clue how to put photos on here I would show you our colt that we showed in the same class as his sire. Good luck with him and well done taking a chance on him..........I would have done.

Elsiecat

Visit site
That was the other one!!! He's also got Persie Sir Russel in his breeding. I think he has a very similar head to persie.
I'd love to see pictures of yours!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I don't understand why sec C's are in the large breed category. we had a lovely old fashioned chunky sec C, but next to the D's (and highlands etc in open M&M classes) he looked 'small'. No fair I say.

justabob

Visit site
That was the other one!!! He's also got Persie Sir Russel in his breeding. I think he has a very similar head to persie.
I'd love to see pictures of yours![/QUOT

Our colt was by Persie Renown out of Craven Fancy Lady. No wonder I like yours.

Elsiecat

Visit site
^bigger than a section D? Perhaps if you sit a section a on top of a section D you get a E?
So perhaps D + A = E? :D

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
My friend has a section c purebred BUT he's so tiny she just shows him as a B! That's because he looks literally teeny in a C D class. Your pony is stunning though :) good luck with everything! :)