Showing In Hand

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Hi folks,

This probably makes me sound very thick but i'm possibly showing in hand my pure bred 3 years old Irish Draught in their Breed Show next month and havent a clue what to do, wear, horses turnout, tack etc so was hoping some of you clever people could help answer my questions!!! Anyway, here goes:

Flynn will be shown in hand, I was going to show him in a flat hunter bridle with a neue schule pelham with two reins. Is that ok?

How should I turn him out. He has a small amount of feather, will I be expected to trim them off or can he stay au naturel! Also do I have to plait his mane and tail?

And finally, me, what should I be wearing in the ring?

Many thanks for your help guys, this is the first time ive ever actually shown a horse so I havent much of a clue really!

Any other pointers and advice you could give me would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Luv Jayne xx

mrogers

Visit site
Pelham with a plain noseband and browband is spot on.

As far as turnout, he should have all whiskers and feathers off with his ears trimmed and tail pulled and banged and mane plaited.

He should have hunters quarter marking with sharks teeth if you can do them.

As for you, you need a tweed jacket with shirt and tie. If you havent got a tweed, then a waistcoat will be ok aswell.If he has dark legs, where light trousers and if he has light legs, then dark trousers.

Wear comfortable shows you can run in and remeber to put your hair in a bun with a hairnet. Gloves and a flat cap or trilby will finish the look, as will a show cane.

Also practice running him up inhand and standing him properly. If a horse wont run out or stand still, then some judges will simply dis-miss them, especially if its a big class.

Good luck and dont forget plenty of pictures.

ecrozier

Visit site
That is a handy post, as we are also showing our 3 year old ID x WB next month for the first time! OH will show him and has a tweed jacket, beige cords, a checked shirt and a flat cap for the occasion, so he is ok, but thats interesting to know re trimming everything - will he be very marked down if I leave his whiskers on? I don't really like trimming them! We are only going to a local show to start with and doing in hand youngstock, happy to plait/trim ears/feltlocks etc!

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Ooh thanks loads for your advice thats fab. I'm not keen on trimmed whiskers either I must admit, do you think we'd be marked down if I left them on? Have no problems with tail, mane and trimming his fetlocks tho.

Thanks again for all your advice its much appreciated and i'll make sure other half takes plenty of photos!!

Luv Jayne xx

mrogers

Visit site
I understand where your coming from re whiskers as they're the horses feelers. Some people leave them on for local shows but the majority will take them off, and I.D Mum i definatley would for a breed show.

They actually grow back very quickly, through out the show season, i have to shave mine (well not mine but my boys
smirk.gif
) off every fortnight

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Hehe (shaving your whiskers!!), Yes I see what you mean, we are having a trial run at a local show next Sunday so i'll leave his whiskers on for then but i'll shave them for the breed show. The breed show will be the last thing he does before being turned away til the spring so he'll have plenty of time to grow them back in over the winter!

Thanks lots again for your help.

Luv Jayne xx