Showing peeps, which class?

emmaln

Visit site
Hi all,

It feels like spring today around here and I have just had some photos delivered from my youngsters first ridden show last year and it's got me thinking!

I intend to event my youngster but also enjoy attending a few local shows every year, problem is I'm not entirely sure which class to put her in she is 15hh 3/4 welsh PB, she's a fab jumper and generally very well behaved. For her first ridden show the classes she could do we're fairly limited and I ended up putting her in the ridden cob class (didn't specify weight!) she performed reasonably well (I made a few mistakes!) and the judge made some very positive comments, we were placed second to last and whilst giving out the rosettes the judge again commented on how nice she was but asked if she was a fell?!?!?! I am happy to accept some responsibility for this due to turnout (her mane was too long) but it being it was a cob class I guess that's one of the reasons we were placed so low?!?

Problem is I'm not sure which class to enter? I'm thinking m&m but obviously being PB I'm sure competition will be very stiff? Or small hunter/working hunter? Advice welcome?

Thank you
303eaf65.jpg

332cc74a.jpg

Brandy

Visit site
She's lovely and looks very welsh indeed! I wouldn't enter M & M classes as they are usually only for pure bred ponies (unless you go to local shows) Some shows have a p/b class but these are often full of riding ponies all trimmed and plaited. If she jumps you could definately go for a working hunter but would need to sort her turnout out - again if she was pure bred you could leave her pretty much natural but if you are entering general WH classes she will need to be plaited/pulled etc not sure how this would suit her? You could do riding club horse which often includes a jump - not sure what level you are aiming at?

sammiea

Visit site
As a part bred she should be shown plaited. With regards to class...at a local level...hunter/working hunter/riding club horse/family mount

emmaln

Visit site
Hi brandy,

Thanks for your reply, I have since pulled and trimmed her (after much deliberation) as decided it is more appropriate for dressage and jumping which is what we do most of so plaiting up for a wh class will be no prob, just worried she might be considered a bit small!? I am only talking local level so it is not really the end of the world results wise but I can't help it I m fairly competitive and want to give us the best possible chance!

:)

be positive

Visit site
You will not find many shows that do pb M&M classes and if you did she would need to be shown as a part bred, plaited, trimmed and pulled, which if you are going to event you will be doing any way.
She is a nice useful type that could do several classes I would see if you can find some shows that do working classes, some will let adults do the under 15 hand class which would be ideal, otherwise small hunters, RC horse would be the obvious classes for her.

emmaln

Visit site
Thanks be positive, yes I have pulled and trimmed her already so plaiting will be no probs! Is she too chunky for a riding horse class? Think small hunter, riding club is the way to go!! Roll on spring!

emmaln

Visit site
Thanks honey08, we did actually qualify in hand m&m for royal London at the same show but my initial thoughts is that there won't be much point in going especially as she is now pulled and trimmed? What do you guys reckon?

caberston

Visit site
depending on what the restrictions are for working hunter classes at your local shows, i think she'd suit small WH. at our local show WH is split into 15hh and under and over 15hh. this is better than having pony and horse i think because often the 'pony' classes are rider age restricted. i'd have a scout for what WH classes she could do locally.

be positive

Visit site
She is probably a little chunky for RH but I would think looks very different now she is all trimmed and tidy, it would be worth doing one and see how it goes, at local level standards vary so what one judge loves another will not.

emmaln

Visit site
Thanks caberston, will do some scouting and get the schedules checked! For working hunter I know some people change tack between phases and as I don't have a gp saddle only a jump or dressage is it ok to swap saddles?

Thanks be positive she does look better trimmed and pulled, I've had tbs for so long it's been quite a change he he!

be positive

Visit site
You should not change tack in WH boots used for jumping should be removed as can a body protector but everything else should stay the same, your jump saddle will be fine.