Showing people! *Pelhams*

MJ_1993

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am going to be doing some showing with my boy this year, he's a fair size 15.3 irish type.
We will be keeping it minimal to start with, Ridden turnouts and novice classes so no cantering just yet.

Now, I was wondering about pelhams, I have ridden him a pelham once before at a show we went to last year, It was a jointed pelham, He wasn't so keen on it but it's the strongest bit he's ever been in. I borrowed the pelham from a friend.
I would like to ride him in a pelham as i know if he gets excited at show there is no hope in hell of me stopping him in a snaffle! (Normally always ridden in one, but he is built like a train)

So to get to my point, Seeing as i am going to need my own pelham, which should i get? All his other bits are french link, but what's the difference in a pelham? (Straight, French link and Jointed)

Many thanks!

ElliePippa

Visit site
I'd go for the mouth piece that he's used to. Main difference with a Pelham is the curb chain coming into action with the curb rein, and putting on poll pressure. If he's resisting the curb, you could try an elastic or leather curb chain instead. Use a lip strap too.

Alternatively, if you feel he's going well in a snaffle, you could eventually introduce the double bridle, ride him off the snaffle and use the curb if he's getting strong.
Work lots on getting relaxed at shows and you might be fine in the snaffle any way.

rara007

Visit site
Just bare in mind that most novice classes at unaff will expect snaffle bits. I think novice hunters are actually sometimes shown in pelhams but hunters are not my thing- ponies are snaffles whilst novice. I'm not sure how many open hunters are in pelhams or if they're all in doubles?
I show mine in a french link pelham as it gives much less (if any when curb loose) action. If he's being powerful and we're doing qualifiers we go for a true double but when we're being casual we go french link :)

Crackerz

Visit site
I would suggest that if the class has novice in the title, the judge would be expecting a snaffle type bit even at local level.

I hate jointed pelhams, some horses like them, but to me, having a curb chain on a jointed pelham doesn't make sense! I would perhaps ask around your friends and see what types you could borrow to try. I have used a few, with the show pelham looking the neatest and having a nice very slightly ported mouth piece.

It may have been the chain itself he didn't like, so you could try a leather or elastic chain. & remember a lip strap! A curb chain used without a lipstrap makes me chudder a bit :D

DD265

Visit site
Try several styles of mouthpiece if you can to see what your horse likes best. Also don't rule out a double.

My lad will absolutely NOT be ridden in a pelham (and he first worked out the perfect evasion in the show ring) but will accept a double.

Enfys

Visit site
I know many people use rugby pelhams, one mouthpiece, but loose snaffle ring. Used correctly with two cheekpieces it gives the impression of a double without all the hardware in the mouth.

muckypony

Visit site
If the class is a novice, the judge will want snaffles.

I made the mistake last year of assuming I'd need double reins at a county show WH class. Not only was I the only one without a snaffle, but I also ended up with pony going really backwards in it, despite riding in it regularly at home.

conniegirl

Visit site
I know many people use rugby pelhams, one mouthpiece, but loose snaffle ring. Used correctly with two cheekpieces it gives the impression of a double without all the hardware in the mouth.
A lot of judges hate rugby Pelhams, even with a slip head they look nothing like a double!
Either go for a proper double or a show pelham

Enfys

Visit site
A lot of judges hate rugby Pelhams, even with a slip head they look nothing like a double!
Either go for a proper double or a show pelham

Well that's me told then :) :D

I don't show English, so was just repeating what I had been told ;)

I do agree, show pelhams with the loose ring I presume you mean, do look nicer, I had one, horse hated it, but it was pretty :)

Last edited:

MJ_1993

Visit site
Thanks everyone,

Re Pelham in a showing novice, I have spoken to the person running the show (one off yard show but girl is affiliated showing who owns the yard) and she said Pelhams and snaffles would be acceptable for both classes! I know i wouldn't get away with this normally! =)