Showing people - small riding horse questions

Jo C

Visit site
I currently have a connemara that I have shown at a fairly high level (NPS champs, Ponies UK champs etc) but is now out of showing through injury/illness. I am currently 'researching' small riding horse types but have always been into natives in the past. Now if I got a riding horse I would like to show again at as high a level I could but I really don't know much about them. I wouldn't want anything much bigger than 15.2 as I am only 5'2" so would struggle with anything too big. Basically my questions are what breeds or xbreeds make good riding horses, what am I looking for conformation wise, are there any good blood lines I should be looking out for (and any to stay clear of
smile.gif
) and does anyone know of any studs breeding this type of horse? I would be looking at getting a 3 or 4 year old next year.
Phew well done if you have made it this far!!
laugh.gif

Emily99

Visit site
well we have a few 2yr olds and yearlings for sale now LOL

Many seem to be TBs or tb x with a bit of warmblood. You want good conf and a straight mover with good paces.

Next time your out showing your natives see if you can watch the RH class and get a feel for what the judges like in a horse.

Jo C

Visit site
Don't tempt me by saying you have some now - lalalalalalalalalala can't hear you!
laugh.gif

I will have to go and watch some classes - do you show yours all round the UK?

H-J

www.piczo.com
They are usually very handsome horses, good conformation, nice floaty paces so a bit of warmblood would be good with TB. Something as well schooled as poss and well behaved.

Jo C

Visit site
So usually TB x? I was told TB X Connemara but I'm not sure if this combination would be fine enough really. I think warmblood for the paces is probably a good idea thanks.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
We try to avoid the warmblood cross in riding horses if we can, and stick to TB and TB x types. Infantry (stallion stood by the Rawdings) is the sire of several of our riding horses and they all have good bone and attractive heads. Small riding horses need to be a full up 15.2 if you are looking at county and qualifier level. It is best if you are going to have one horse to show to try to get something that is already 4 or 5 at least so you have an idea of final height. There is nothing wrong with the warmblood crosses, it is just that we find they are not our type! There are some VERY successful warmbloods who do small and large riding horse classes. WOuld you perhaps be better with a hack if you are tiny - you can have a small at around 15hh which may be better for you. THe classes are often much smaller as well! If you are going to Bucks, there are good quality hacks and riding horses there so have a look and buy a catalogue to see which breeding takes your fancy.