Showing Rookie… help!

lucy_108

Visit site
Our local show centre is holding a weekend of showing at the end of the month and I’d like to enter a couple of classes with my boys. However, apart from the friendly local low key showing shows, I’ve never really graced the show ring with my presence so looking for some advice on what to do/wear etc.
Looking to do some in hand with my little rescue pony who is 18 months old and is unrecorded breeding but Welsh X Cob. I want to put him in the 1,2,3yo coloured class as I’m assuming he can’t do part bred small M&M (any age) if his breeding is unrecorded ?
what would I need to wear for this? and what does he need to wear?

I’d also like to take my older dude in for the in hand and ridden veterans as he is 20. What would I need to wear and what’s best for him to wear?

no idea about individual shows for in hand or ridden so any advice most welcome!!!

TIA

humblepie

Visit site
For the in hand for both wear smart trousers tweed jacket collar tie gloves hat short boots. Often for young stock people don’t wear hard hats but show may require you to. Generally just walk round, halted by stewards then all trot down one side individually. Then lined up and individually called out. Stand up for judge then walk away in straight line turn horse away from you and trot back past the judge. All post ridden tomorrow

humblepie

Visit site
As above for the ridden veteran does depend a little on the type of horse or piney but basically Tweed jacket, hat, pale breeches, long boots or boots and gaiters at a push, shirt and tie, brown gloves. Horse snaffle Pelham or double bridle, cavesson nose band. Either no numnah or a fitted shaped one to the saddle in dark brown. You all go round together on the right rein then when told change rein through trot and then canter as a group on the left rein then back to walk p and called into line. generally in preliminary order selected by judge but may just be in any order. then You do individual show. Keep it simple so normally halt in front of judge walk a short bit into trot perhaps change the rein on diagonal into canter then change of rein through trot back into canter, canter along long side and back to trot and halt and salute. just think about what your horse does best and show that off. Short and simple much better than going on for too long. Unlikely but you may need to take the saddle off and walk/ trot your horse up for the conformation section. There may even be a set show. The may thing is to listen to instructions from steward and perhaps see what they did in previous class. The other main thing is to enjoy and not worry if you don’t have exactly the right equipmen.

JackFrost

Visit site
Not absolutely sure , but I think for youngster in coloured class, he should be plaited, same too if your veteran is a coloured.
Possibly the tail should be plaited too.
Nice leather headcollar for youngster if you have one.
They should be clean, the white bits must be white, not yellow/green/poo colour.
In hand, the judges like to see them trot along sprightly, if your young one is welsh x he should be a natural!
Wear comfortable boots that give you some grip in the ring when running with them.
Take a stick if in any doubt about whether they will move when you ask.

teddy_

Visit site
For anything in hand, wear smart trousers (dark or beige colour - chinos are a good bet), flat shoes (I wear jodhpur boots), shirt, tie, tie pin with a well fitting jacket or waistcoat. You could wear a velvet riding hat or flat cap. I always wear a riding hat when showing young horses in hand as you just never know!

For the young coloured horse, if he is of cob type, I would just enter him into the coloured classes. Part bred M&Ms tend to be more 'typey' and are plaited / pulled. I would also bit him with a nylon snaffle.

For the ridden veteran, if he's is quite fine i.e. riding horse type you could use a plain bridle with coloured velvet browband. If he is heavier set like a hunter, just use a completely plain bridle. You could ride him in a snaffle, pelham or double bridle, dependant on what he goes best in. Use a plain shaped numnah, ideally brown. When you say Portuguese sports horse, I am guessing he isn't a Lusitano and more of a warmblood type therefore, neat, even plaits are essential. No need to use thread at unaffiliated level, bands are fine. You can also apply quarter marks, I would recommend hunter bars and sharks teeth on any sports horse type :). The rider should wear long black boots, beige, buff or canary breeches, shirt and tie with pin and tweed jacket - and brown gloves! Dark jackets and stocks are reserved for evening performances.

Chalk up any white 'bits', apply some gloss (Supreme Products is fab!) around eyes, muzzle and knees (if dark hair) and apply hoof oil a few times before you go into the ring.

Feel free to PM me if you need any further advice.

Good luck ?!