Showing tb class - blue or tweed jacket?

Neddie123

Visit site
Going to do the ridden thoroughbred class at our local show but not sure what to wear? I've got a beautiful new navy jacket I'm desperate to wear but not certain if it'd be better to wear my tweed hacking jacket?

And would it be inappropriate to have a velvet browband?

Have never done any showing with a TB - advice appreciated!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It is tweed (sorry) for ridden classes but you can wear the navy if you're doing hack classes!
https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/features/showing-advice-for-beginners-543744
https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/features/showing-rider-dress-code-721896

But if it's a very small local show there might be some leeway :)
Hacks AND Riding Horses is usually navy.
A TB in an ROR type class, would usually be ridden as to this rule UNLESS its a heavier type, in which case tweed would be correct.

ponynutz

Visit site
A TB in an ROR type class, would usually be ridden as to this rule UNLESS its a heavier type, in which case tweed would be correct.

Navy is possible but it's more common and accepted to see tweed in ridden classes that are not hacks especially at unaffiliated level :) Very rarely have I seen blue in a ridden show class (hence why I said there may be some leeway)

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Navy is possible but it's more common and accepted to see tweed in ridden classes that are not hacks especially at unaffiliated level :) Very rarely have I seen blue in a ridden show class (hence why I said there may be some leeway)
I'll bow to your greater experience then.........

Having judged ROR classes, I thought I knew what I was talking about, and what I previously produced ?

OP, do as you think best, but no pretty browband if you opt for tweed, please ?

ponynutz

Visit site
I'll bow to your greater experience then.........

Having judged ROR classes, I thought I knew what I was talking about, and what I previously produced ?

OP, do as you think best, but no pretty browband if you opt for tweed, please ?

The Fuzzy Fury... this is the second time today you have suggested you have something over me (both times was age and/or experience). We have agreed in this case that navy IS possible and I was NOT suggesting you are wrong! In fact, I agreed with you and was willing to take on your advice for OP. I'm merely suggesting OP might want to wear what is MOSTLY worn to feel more confident! Think there's a case of fight picking going on here....

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
The Fuzzy Fury... this is the second time today you have suggested you have something over me (both times was age and/or experience). We have agreed in this case that navy IS possible and I was NOT suggesting you are wrong! In fact, I agreed with you and was willing to take on your advice for OP. I merely suggested OP might want to wear what is MOSTLY worn to feel more confident! Think there's a case of fight picking going on here. That's all I'm going to say.
I'm not wanting an argument, I was merely stating what is factually correct for the class.

conniegirl

Visit site
Agreed ? The OP said in a TB class, which would take in all types, hence my remarks regarding type within the class as they do generally fall into 3 types: hack, RH and the 3 x hunter types.
But that is not what you said! In the post quoted below you said hacks and riding horses are normally navy, this is incorrect.
Hacks are usually navy, riding horses are usually shown in tweed.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
For a local show I don't think it really matters go for the navy if your eager to wear it.

I have always used a coloured browband with tweed even at higher level shows, all the Arab's at affiliated shows are ridden in the same as well.

teddy_

Visit site
As above, you probably won't be marked down at a local show for wearing navy.

If you're showing an ROR, you'd normally select the colour of the jacket based on the 'type' of your horse. Some Thoroughbreds conform to the hack type, so you'd wear navy. However, if your horse is 17hh, he should be presented as if you were showing a LRH (at a push, these tend to be no larger than 16.2hh) or LW/MW hunter, therefore, green or brown tweed is correct :D.

You can have a coloured browband on a LRH.

Squeak

Visit site
Finally found it - if you scroll down to near the bottom of this page from RoR it specifies the horses tack and riders jacket:

RoR Rules & Regulations - Retraining of Racehorses

Although I do agree with the others that say for a local show you should be able to get away with a coloured browband and navy jacket. You could always take both and swap just before you go into the ring if you think you're going to be the only one in the navy.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I show in ROR. I wear tweed with a red tie. Black velvet hat, black boots, brown gloves. Horse is in plain hunter bridle. He is a heavier weight tb. We won lots last year x enjoy your day out x

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Here's Wilbs turned out as a small riding horse type (tweed, coloured browband) for a county RoR class. We did also occasionally show as a hack type (navy jacket, coloured browband) as he is smaller/finer than a lot of TBs, but *most* of the other riders would be in tweed at county level.
Enjoy your show!

(ETA. I'm going to apologise for riding on the curb here, in my defence my left hand was quite badly rearranged and bandaged up underneath my glove and he was quite excited!)

Attachments

• Lincs RoR.jpg
    Lincs RoR.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 25