Showing Youngstock

Boolagh

Visit site
I have bought a foal which will be arriving in about October when she is weaned. I would like to show her in-hand next year and am looking for advice/training on the best way forward. Does anyone know of a showing organisation or web site I could go to for help. She has done two shows with her dam this summer and I have done some showing with adult horses but never a baby. Any advice will be welcome.

severnmiles

Visit site
Hmm, I don't know any organisations that would help.

I've been showing babies for a few years, foals on mums and yearlings e.t.c

Aslong as you just teach basic manners like standing still, and leading at walk and trot you'll be fine. My old boss would get the mares up about a week before a show and I'm talking big shows like the british bred dressage champs (in-hand) at Addington and they were fine.

Just make sure you handle the baby but not too much so it causes boredom and therefore the youngster to mess about to occupy itself!

mandy4727

Visit site
Were showing our filly in 10 days! Our first show.
Like SM said Basic manners. Stand ect ect.
we did two 15 minute sessions every other day/every day.
We also did a differnt thing everyday but repeted it the following week.

briardy

Visit site
hi i show coloured youngstock from weaning....and i agree its all basic manners , but be careful not to sour her by doing too much most practise you need can be done as your usual daily routine
cool.gif
i.e always lead from the shoulder and walk asertively when going back &forth the stable / field .make use of different people around on the yard & every so often ask your filly to stand and get somebody to walk around her as if judging her (this will help her be more comfortable when shes in a real class!.play the radio so she gets used to a different sounds.help her be confident to walk between things(useful as you may find yourself having to sqeeze between lorries!
mad.gif
).once shes happy and relaxed doing these things with you ....closer to the show see if you can round up a couple of people to mock up a class with other horses , so shes happy to step out of line & also stand in line while others do their trot up past her!...make it happy & fun for her ....you ll do fine & enjoy it!!!
cool.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif