showjumping last night and scary horse in trailer!

Loopy_laura

Visit site
well it would appear i had reason to be nevous all day! he was a nightmare! he has got use to hunting so breaks went out the window! and he flew round to the course incredably fast! we got fifth cause he took a few fences with him in the jump off! , not bad for first time out show jumping in five months!

but this horse got cast in a trailer OMG it was awful! i was warming up and could see this trailer shaking and shouted for help jumped off my lad and went staright over to it, it had come over the breach bar and was trying to clinb over tho front unload as they had left the top open! we couldnt drop the bar as it was trapped under it tummy, it ended up panicing and rearing, landing with its head at the back of the trailer on it back. the men there (all very brave and very helpful!!) dropped the ramp and litrally pulled the horse out on to the ramp. it was amazingly unhurt, but only due to quick response of all involved and oragnisers of trent valley! they where all brilliant! and after half an hour of leading it ronud to chill it out.... it walked back in like nothing had happened!!!

Bess

Visit site
Worth checking that you know how to release the breast bars etc from the outside of the trailer, never had to do it thankfully but I do make sure I've got an Allen key in the car.

LauraBR

Visit site
How terrifying.

Someone came on here a few months ago to post a warning after something similar happened to her horse, sadly her horse was not as fortunate and if memory serves, it was put to sleep. I am quite amazed that the horse you describe walked straight back in no questions asked! Incredible.

Well done with the SJ, I'm sure he'll settle once he gets back into the swing of it
smile.gif

Deefa

Visit site
Something similar happened to a trailer next to us at a show, but the horse just stayed put on the bar, with its front legs off the floor. Me, my dad and another man ended up lifting the front end of the horse up while someone got a hammer and whacked out the breast bar underneath it. Was awful
frown.gif

Peanot

Visit site
Well done, you are on the up, keep going out and enjoying yourself.
As for the poor horse in other trailer. Well done again for raising the alarm.
It is frightening when these things happen. Luckily it ended ok this time.